Last year's Garlic

skeipJuly 16, 2011

I have about 5 pounds left and this year's is just about ready to dig. It's in pretty good shape, only a few sprouts, not soft or mushy. What is the best way to preserve it? Freezing, drying? Should I puree first or do you grind it once it's dry. I know there was some discussion a while ago about this, but you know the search engine here! Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nancyjane_gardener(Zone 8ish North of San Francisco in the "real" wine country)

How bout chopping and freezing with olive oil? Then you can pop a little garlic OO out of the freezer and be set!
Nancy

Bookmark   July 16, 2011 at 9:40PM
bejay9_10(zone 9/10)

I raise quite a bit of garlic, and found quite a few ways to preserve it.

One way that I've found to be very helpful - is to put some cloves in the blender along with some olive oil, mix well, then freeze in small-size freezer trays. They are then stored in the top part of my fridge/freezer, handy for use in cooking. I especially like them for sauteing and in making stir-fries, adding to spaghetti sauces, etc.

We also like garlic salt - which can be made easily, by grinding in the blender, along with some salt - to make a thick paste. This is spread out on a plate and dehydrated. It needs to be stirred from time-to-time in the blender, until dry enough to pass through a salt shaker.

It can also be dried in small chunks, wrapped in a baggie and frozen - for immediate use - no need to take time to peel, chop - etc. fresh garlic.

I find these to be real time savers in the kitchen.

You could also dry the garlic scapes, then use them to season soups, sauces, etc.

Bejay

Bookmark   July 17, 2011 at 9:20AM
Bloomfielder(Z6 SE MI)

I love roasted garlic, and came up with a way to make ahead and freeze. I toss peeled cloves with olive oil, roast at 350 until done, then freeze in ice cube trays, and pop 'em into ziplocs. Really handy to have on hand.

Bookmark   July 17, 2011 at 9:26AM
More Discussions
what i put up 2015
Looks like it's time to start this thread again, so...
misskimmie
Is my turkey stock too thick to can?
I made stock two nights ago, last night I went to skim...
SaraBeth Williams
Roasting previously frozen peppers
Has anyone had any experience either oven roasting...
ekgrows
Jamacian Relish Receipe?
I am looking for a receipe for something called Jamacian...
bluejean
Cranberry Vinegar
Every few years I make a batch of cranberry vinegar...
CA Kate
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™