Best Bee Balm (Monarda, Bergamot) for Tea?

julia42(9a)October 27, 2011

I've been enjoying using my herbs for teas lately, and I was thinking it might be nice to have some bee balm. I know it's not the same as the bergamot used in Earl Grey, but I've heard it still makes a very nice tea.

Can I just pick any of the varieties of bee balm to plant? It seems like there are a million different hybrids, which I would guess are bred mainly for looks, not flavor. Do they all work equally well for tea, or is it better to stick with the wild variety?

Suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

The named garden cultivars are generally bred for size and color, not flavor. I would go with a standard, no name variety that you like the smell/taste of. Or if deciding to do some ordering from mail order/online vendors, I'd go with ones from the herb seed/plant vendors as those will probably be ones with a good taste and smell.

FataMorgana

Bookmark   October 27, 2011 at 1:41PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lavender_lass(4b)

I've got lots of different kinds of bee balm and they all smell good. Should I just try different ones to see which one makes the best tea?

They are just wonderful for keeping the deer out of the roses and blueberries. So far, we have red, white, light pink, medium pink, burgandy and a pretty pink/purple. One of the red ones got 5' tall, but the rest stay at about 2' to 3' tall :)

Bookmark   October 27, 2011 at 8:05PM
More Discussions
African blue basil
I live in central TN and am looking for an African...
rksamon
Growing herbs
Hi all new to this gardening so want as someone something. I...
margowicz
Something is eating my basil leaves
Hello - I planted basil seeds in my raised garden and...
Bimaldshah
Anyone here who grows Nepeta?
I want to grow Nepeta but not Nepeta Cataria (catnip)....
cooperdr_gw
Basil has me stumped
Hi - any idea what is attacking my basil? It is in...
martini100_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™