"ever fruiting" lemons or limes

MuscledBear(10a)August 31, 2012

Hi:

I am wondering if any lemon or lime varieties down here in Florida produce multiple crops a year. Looking for varieties such as Meyers which does well in a pot.

I had to give my lemon tree and my Key lime to a friend when I moved down here to St Pete. Just did not have the room to put them on the truck.

I could almost always get two sets of flowers a year, I believe that is not normal, and was likely a result of the day length and climate i was giving them.

Thoughts? or is it now that i can grow them outside, I am stuck with a single crop a year? (I will say the lemons up north never got to full size, though they ripened.. and maybe that is why I was able to get multiple crops a year)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
katkin_gw

The Persion lime and the meyer lemon are ever bearing. I grow both in a pot. ;o)

Bookmark   August 31, 2012 at 7:13AM
MuscledBear(10a)

Thanks! great to know. So, my Meyers up north wasn't a fluke after all :-)

Bookmark   August 31, 2012 at 7:22AM
RetiredFlorida(9)

Muscled, I bought a meyer a short time ago and was told it was ever bearing but no mention of it having to stay in a pot. I'll let you know though because I just put it in the ground this morning. It currently has fruit on it, so I will keep watch.

Bookmark   August 31, 2012 at 12:00PM
MuscledBear(10a)

The pot is for me. I am renting now, and will likely rent for another year or two. (lost a lot of money and credit score on a short sale of a house in PA.. ugggg)

Anyway, i don't mind planting plants in the ground I can propagate or take with me later, but the trees I'd like to keep in pots so when I do move, I can take them with me.

I'm going to try to get the lemon within the next month. and the lime in late winter. I have had success with Meyer lemons up north, and based on what people have said so far, I'll just stick to that down here.

Bookmark   August 31, 2012 at 9:27PM
katkin_gw

I think the Meyer lime can be grown either in the ground or in a pot. I just choose a pot and it's been in one for about 4 years now, along with the Persion lime and a Sambo lemon. :o)

Bookmark   September 3, 2012 at 6:57AM
More Discussions
What to see in North Central FL this weekend?
I will be just north of Orlando. Any special events...
irma_stpete_9b
Shrub border.
Hi any suggestions for a shrub next to a fence between...
garyfla_gw
Yacon rhizomes
Hey Carmen, You out there? CYE pronto, I have your...
tomncath
Staghorn cutting
A friend gave me a piece of her staghorn. How do I...
drich30099
African Irises just bloomed; they're pretty
The plants bloomed nine mos after being stuck in the...
stewbrew FL_10b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™