Cutting back herb plants or not???

kentgaOctober 27, 2008

I live in metro Atlanta and my herb garden is 3 years old and is planted in the ground. Some of the herbs have gotten "stringy" and only the ends of the stems produce herbs as would be expected. The bottom half (or more) of the plants are dead-looking and some have outgrown their space. The herbs have lived without requiring replanting and come back every year and I'd like to keep it that way. My question is can I cut back (without damaging them) any or all of the following and, if so, what time of year and do I cut back at the ground level?

Thyme- mostly non-producing stems. Few thyme leaves

Sage

Oregano

Marjoram

Lavender

Rosemary- It lives year round-- may just trim & cut back

Also, for what its worth, I bought some Mexican tarragon plants and they die with freezing weather and come back every year. I've never had any luck with French tarragon.

Thanks to all,

Kent

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

After oregano dies back to the ground with the freezing temperatures, the dead stalks can be trimmed back to just above the ground. Regularly clip oregano throughout the growing season for best appearance and production.

Sage, thyme, rosemary, and lavender are all woody plants. Cut back no more than 1/3 at a time. Read up on pruning. The same techniques used for larger trees and shrubs can be applied to these smaller plants if you are trying to reshape. Search back through old posts of this forum for lots of specific pruning and clipping information.

I believe you can treat marjoram the same as oregano. I've never grown it so others will have to comment more.

FataMorgana

Bookmark   October 27, 2008 at 3:23PM
laxfan(z7 GA)

I also live in metro Atlanta, and I think that FataMorgana sums it up very well. Yes, you can treat the marjoram like the oregano. I wonder if your thyme is sitting in waterlogged soil, or is being shaded out by something larger.
jg

Bookmark   October 28, 2008 at 12:49PM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

Just a word on rosemary. If it is growing in the ground it can be treated much more brutally than lavender. You can cut back into old wood and it will grow away again. My rosemary bush has been cut way back many times otherwise it gets leggy and spreads itself over other plants.

Bookmark   October 30, 2008 at 1:42PM
vera_eastern_wa(5a-5b)

Salvia I cut back to just above the newest leaves as low on the plants as they are seen (usually about 6-8" above the ground every spring. Lavender I do the same with (in a rounded fashion) to keep them from becoming woody in the center....works for me. Some are done every spring and some ever other depending on how bad the winter affects them or just too keep them manicured and neat based on where they are located.

Bookmark   November 4, 2008 at 5:09PM
More Discussions
Mold on Dirt
Couple of questions. I am using the Burpee Greenhouses...
jaltman
How many seeds do I plant in a seed starter kit cell?
I'm sure this is one of those questions that almost...
drayven
Why is my basil wilted?
My roommate picked up this basil from the grocery store....
endi92
Cilantro indoors
How do I grow cilantro indoors? I'm in Colorado for...
timetraveler
Have you heard of "Orange Mint?"
I just saw this variety of mint as a small plant being...
peterk312
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™