Plum Butter???

soonergrandmomJuly 23, 2012

Is there a recipe for plum butter or is it just plum pulp with sugar to taste, cooked and processed?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Basically yes, apple butter but with plums. But the peels can be quite bitter depending on variety so watch out for that problem if you aren't going to peel.

Dave

Bookmark   July 23, 2012 at 6:44PM
soonergrandmom

Thanks Dave. These are delicious eaten fresh and I don't taste any bitterness at all in the fresh stage. I don't know what kind they are, but the outside is greenish, but the inside is a lovely red. I saw SuzyQ's plum sauce and thought I would do some of that and some jam, but it just looks like it would make a beautiful butter. I've made lots of apple butter, but never plum butter. Thanks again. Carol

Bookmark   July 23, 2012 at 7:42PM
readinglady(z8 OR)

The old Farm Journal cookbook had a recipe for plum butter. Basically you're making apple butter but may want to vary the spices a bit or add a touch of orange, which is great with plums.

Last time I used stick cinnamon, whole cloves and a touch of fresh nutmeg.

Carol

Bookmark   July 23, 2012 at 9:51PM
soonergrandmom

Thanks Carol, that sounds good too. I didn't add spice to the butter, but also made a batch of jam and added almond to it. Actually it taste a little like it is made with sour cherries. I think vanilla would be good too.

I probably didn't add enough sugar to the butter to please most people, but DH and I both like it tart. I guess I'll feed the jelly to company and keep the butter for us. LOL

Bookmark   July 24, 2012 at 12:56AM
david52_gw

plum butter made with ripe green gage plums is absolutely wonderful.

Bookmark   July 24, 2012 at 12:57PM
oliveoyl3

We made some in the crock pot a few years ago with no sugar added and it became a very dark color. We used a hand blender to mix and decided it was an excellent base for quick sauces to go with meats. We labeled the jars Plum for Sauces. Depending on spices added we can make it Asian with garlic & ginger, BBQ with liquid smoke plus onions, garlic, celery, nutmeg & vinegar OR Italian with lots of oregano, basil, rosemary & thyme.

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 5:44PM
More Discussions
preserving venison
I have questions for those of you that harvest and...
KSprairie
what i put up 2015
Looks like it's time to start this thread again, so...
misskimmie
Who said this isn't canning season?
We went to Aldi's store because they had a huge sale...
dellr
Have you made sweet & sour Indian lemon pickles?
I have made north African preserved lemons several...
veeta
*&%$#@!!! Marmalade!
After the "Key Lime Rubber Marmalade" and...
gardengrl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™