Green Island Ficus

yumtomatoes(10a/FLA)August 23, 2011

I planted quite a few Green Island Ficus close together to form a hedge. I keep them trimmed and they look just beautiful. It is my understanding that unlike other varieties of ficus, they do develop large roots that will crack your sidewalks/driveways/foundation. They also are slower growing than most ficus so they don't have to be trimmed often. And they grow well in the shade or sun are drought tolerant and pretty much pest/disease free.

Given all of that, I am surprised that I don't see Green Island Ficus planted more often. It makes me wonder if there is something negative about this plant that I don't know about. It does not flower, so perhaps that is why it is not used more often, but it has very attractive dark green glossy leaves. When you trim it, it does weep a milky sap that can be irritating to your skin, but I have never had it cause any irritation to my skin.

Is there something about Green Island Ficus that I am missing? If not, I wonder why I don't see it used more in landscaping?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carolb_w_fl(zone 9/10)

Is that a typo? You wrote: "they do develop large roots that will crack your sidewalks/driveways/foundation"...

Bookmark   August 23, 2011 at 9:28AM
yumtomatoes(10a/FLA)

LOL! yes, it is a typo. I meant they do NOT develop large roots that will crack your sidewalks/driveway/foundation.

Bookmark   August 23, 2011 at 11:31AM
fawnridge(10A)

Is there something about Green Island Ficus that I am missing? If not, I wonder why I don't see it used more in landscaping?

Spend some more time in gas stations and strip malls. It's one of the most popular plants for commercial landscaping.

Bookmark   August 23, 2011 at 2:28PM
FLgardenmom

I don't know anything about about Green Island Ficus, but in my experience, living in Palm Beach Co. for 5 years, those who choose ficus choose it because it is fast growing. Thus, I'm of the opinion that the same folks who want ficus, despite all the pitfalls, would have no interest in a slower growing form. Just my thoughts.

Bookmark   August 23, 2011 at 8:28PM
yumtomatoes(10a/FLA)

Around here, you just don't see GIF much, even at strip malls and gas stations, which are all we have here other than banks and restaurants, lol!

It is actually not that slow growing compared to say Schefflera, just compared to other ficus.

Bookmark   August 24, 2011 at 7:49PM
More Discussions
Staghorn cutting
A friend gave me a piece of her staghorn. How do I...
drich30099
Jungle Growth at Lowes?
Is Lowes no longer carrying Jungle Growth Potting soil?...
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)
African Irises just bloomed; they're pretty
The plants bloomed nine mos after being stuck in the...
stewbrew FL_10b
Thinking of planting azaleas
So I went for it and ripped out the ugly bushes in...
Debo214
Planting Spices
Hey folks, I was doing a bit of google searching, which...
silver4490
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™