more pics cuz Ana asked!

hester_2009August 22, 2012

Here are some not very good photos of my side yard. It is way too full of stuff so some of the individual plants are kind of hard to see. And the broms aren't blooming now but I love them anyhow. It was hard to plant anything but broms here because of tree roots. There was nothing here 2 years ago and most of what's here now I moved from my old house. Lots of yellow walking iris too.

Last, this is a cool curly croton which I've had for years and everyone loves it - even the guy who runs a nearby nursery and he's still looking for it when he goes to Homestead so I'm hopeful! Can't seem to get cuttings to take

So Ana, thanks for the prompt - I know the pics don't show the area too well, but there it is...

Hester

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
juneroses Z9a Cntrl Fl

A big thank you to Anna for asking and an even bigger thank you to Hester for posting.

Don't want to put any pressure on you, Hester :), but I've come to expect inspiring garden photos from you. And...you've done it again!

What an Eden you've created.

June

Bookmark   August 22, 2012 at 2:39PM
love_the_yard(z9A Jax FL)

And I give Hester tons of credit for posting pictures from a human point of view. Sooooo many bloggers only post photos as if we are all bunnies - the photographer crouches down and takes photos through the blades of grass. It takes a brave and confident gardener to post photos of how it really looks!

Hester, it is gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! Your plants look great and your garden design is out of this world!

Carol in Jacksonville

Bookmark   August 22, 2012 at 3:11PM
annafl(z9b/10a Sarasota)

Thanks, Hester. Surely beautiful as I remember it. I guess I love all the foliage contrasts in this area. I can't stop looking! You are a master in your art.

Anna

Bookmark   August 22, 2012 at 4:13PM
aroidgardener(9b/central FL)

Your garden is very beautiful, Hester. Foliage plants are my favorite, so, I too love all of the foliage contrasts.

Tina

Bookmark   August 22, 2012 at 4:48PM
wallisadi

very nice! i'm jealous! have to love the shade, do here, keep planting more tall bamboo....nice pics, nice garden....show more......m.....keeps me coming back to see what"s new!

Bookmark   August 22, 2012 at 5:13PM
marcia_m(5 and 9)

So very neat and well kept--I'm jealous, too. I need more shade.
Marcia

Bookmark   August 22, 2012 at 7:05PM
gardencpa

Lovely! It is looking great. Lots of depth and contrast and all those good things.

Melissa

Bookmark   August 23, 2012 at 7:38AM
hester_2009

Thanks, all, for your kind words.
I agree with wanting more shade - this is the only area I have except for some small spots around the house. Which is why there is so much stuff jammed into the side yard!
And Carol, I was hoping I could urge folks to show "human" views of their yards as that's helpful for ideas. But I also love seeing photos like Mark's closeups as they have so many neat plants.
Again,thanks
Hester

Bookmark   August 23, 2012 at 8:13AM
Randy Ritchie

Woah, I sure do love that garden! Your passion comes through so well in how everything is sited in just the right place, playing off the shapes, colors, and heights of the plants around it. Do you give lessons?!
Randy

Bookmark   August 23, 2012 at 11:07AM
love_the_yard(z9A Jax FL)

Hester, oh I agree, I love Mark's closeups, too. It's the darn bunny-shots that drive me nuts (which are not what Mark posts). To the bloggers that post that way: we're not rabbits - no one sees your yard that way in real life. The wide shots through the monkey border grass are frustrating. Only your dog or cat sees your yard that way, LOL!

Carol

Bookmark   August 23, 2012 at 12:49PM
Irma_StPete(z9 FL)

Gorgeous everything! Hester, a question: The huge croton in pictures 1 & 3... how old is it and how did you make it grow so tall and full?

Bookmark   August 26, 2012 at 6:57PM
katkin_gw

Hester, your garden is lovely. I so want to see it someday. The croton in the last picture with the twisted leaves is revelution. :o)

Bookmark   August 27, 2012 at 7:23AM
hester_2009

Katkin - thanks for the name of the croton. I looked it up and it seems to be common. I don't know why everyone who sees it has never seen it before and why I can't find some to buy! Oh, well..someday.
Irma - that croton was one of the only plants worth saving when I moved here (rest of the stuff around was half dead orange crotons, schefflera - all got ripped out). So I care for it as best I can - cut a few interior stems when I think of it and have fed it. I think it should be cut back a bit now but I'm a little nervous to do it.
I love it and was lucky to find the same variety so I have some more in my planter boxes.
Randy - come on over to the west coast sometime and I'll share what I've learned over the years! Thanks for the compliment.
Hester

Bookmark   August 27, 2012 at 1:17PM
katkin_gw

Hester, too bad I can't spell and GW doesn't have spell check. That croton was just released a few years ago. I have one I made into a tree. Crotons are easy to root, especially in the summer. :o)

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 8:04AM
keiki(10 FL)

LOVELY! You have created a lovely garden in such a small amount of time.

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 8:27AM
More Discussions
Any Plant Sales?
I live in the Holiday Florida area and I went to a...
juttz
What to see in North Central FL this weekend?
I will be just north of Orlando. Any special events...
irma_stpete_9b
Looking for wax jambu and Barbados cherry cuttings
Looking to purchase some cuttings of the following...
poetie
Miami/CoralGables ... 10b meet
Good morning everyone, I just saw Silvia//Oakland/9b...
alexcortez
African Irises just bloomed; they're pretty
The plants bloomed nine mos after being stuck in the...
stewbrew FL_10b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™