What to plant in a 12x8 area under a deck (in Lakeland)

pinkgator(9)August 31, 2012

So we just built this 12x8 playhouse about 4 ft off the ground. I wanted to put something other than grass because our yard man has a rider mower, and can't get under there. So I don't want it to become a weedy mess. I don't mind if I plant something under there if my kids (15 mo and 3) can or can't go through.

One option- what would happen if I just put that black garden cloth down, and staked it down?

Is there a flower that would be hearty under all that shade? I would imagine only the front perimeter getting any sun. I would looooove a flower that we could pick and put in vases inside. My daughter looooves picking flowers/plants.

Any other ideas what to do under there?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chloe92us(10A Sarasota area)

If it were me, I would attach a 2x8 or so all around and fill with sand to make it a sandbox!

Bookmark   August 31, 2012 at 5:46PM
pinkgator(9)

We thought about that, but one fear was the grossness after time... Because we have a sand table with a cover and it gets kind of gross... My other fear is all the cats in our neighborhood. I feel like I've heard cats going to bathroom in sandbox and getting my kids sick... Maybe that's an old wives tale though :-)

Bookmark   August 31, 2012 at 6:35PM
pinkgator(9)

We thought about that, but one fear was the grossness after time... Because we have a sand table with a cover and it gets kind of gross... My other fear is all the cats in our neighborhood. I feel like I've heard cats going to bathroom in sandbox and getting my kids sick... Maybe that's an old wives tale though :-)

Bookmark   August 31, 2012 at 8:19PM

The sand table gets gross because there's not enough draining. You could build a cover for it, or even use a tarp at night.

Bookmark   August 31, 2012 at 10:18PM

My friend made covers for her sandbox out of a piece of plywood cut in two so it's easier to move. She painted them to match. You could even paint the plywood with chalkboard paint!

Bookmark   August 31, 2012 at 10:22PM
love_the_yard(z9A Jax FL)

A few ideas:

Cast iron plant
Gingers (White butterfly or Shell)
Caladium
Hydrangea
Ornamental potato vine (Purple, Blackie or Margarita)
Ferns
Begonia

Carol in Jacksonville

Bookmark   September 1, 2012 at 10:29AM
saldut

If it's only 4 feet clearance under there I would just pave it w/the pavers from HD and store tools etc. under there, it is going to be a chore trying to crawl around under there and if you try and grow anything it is a chore to tend the plants, weed, etc. also it would breed mosquitoes because water would tend to stand and not dry off....sally

Bookmark   September 2, 2012 at 4:48PM
More Discussions
New Floridian gardener
Im a snowbird who is loving gardening all year long...
juttz
Where can I get Ceropegia woodii?
Hello folks, This new format will take some getting...
flowerladylorraine
Winter Tomatoes in Miami Florida
I am planning to torture the northern gardeners with...
garf_gw
Looking for wax jambu and Barbados cherry cuttings
Looking to purchase some cuttings of the following...
poetie
What to see in North Central FL this weekend?
I will be just north of Orlando. Any special events...
irma_stpete_9b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™