experience growing these herbs together?

lizannedelizOctober 13, 2013

Hello. I just got some starters for yarrow, chamomile, and red clover, thinking I may plant them together in a big barrel planter I have. Before I did that I wanted to check with people with more experience: is there any reason why those three shouldn't be together, in terms of how they grow, soil needs, etc? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
CaraRose

Not sure on the soil conditions, but the yarrow we have in our yard is very aggressive. Not sure if it would be a problem or not.

Bookmark   October 13, 2013 at 8:50PM
balloonflower(5b Denver CO, HZ 5-6, Sunset 2b)

I agree with previous--yarrow is aggresive like mint, and will take over and probably push out any other plants. You didn't specify what type of Chamomile you are speaking of. Some are annual, though good at self seeding.

Bookmark   October 13, 2013 at 9:18PM
lizannedeliz

I ended up putting the yarrow in its own container, and the red clover and chamomile in the barrel. I believe the chamomile is Roman Chamomile, that's pretty much all I know. Thanks for your input!

Bookmark   October 13, 2013 at 9:39PM
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

Red clover is a short lived perennial. I'm not sure how well this will do in a container, but try it and let us know how it works. If you are looking to harvest flowers for use. you'll need a fair sized patch of it to get any real amount. I would suggest seeding a patch if that is what you intend.

Yarrow can spread but but it is very nice - even in your lawn. Read up on herbal lawns.

Chamomile is nice. I've had good luck with german chamomile (Matricaria recutita). Not such good luck with Roman chamomile (Chamaemelum nobile).

FataMorgana

Bookmark   October 14, 2013 at 5:49PM
More Discussions
Need help with basil and other herbs
I am trying to grow herbs and I live in India. Firstly,...
zenovia_p
I need help in mulching
What kind of mulch should I use in my herb garden?? my...
Keith Peñaflorida
Growing herbs
Hi all new to this gardening so want as someone something. I...
margowicz
Small ant like insect in chamomile flower
Hello dear friends This is first time I am growing...
saoodhashim
How many seeds do I plant in a seed starter kit cell?
I'm sure this is one of those questions that almost...
drayven
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™