Flat Leaf Italian Parsley Question

Desertgarden- NW Las Vegas Z9a @ 2300 fOctober 21, 2013

Hello,

I have a lot of flat leaf italian parsley growing in my yard that I would like to share with friends and co-workers. What is the best way to prepare it for transport. It must also last several hours at work. where. I can store it in a refrigerator at work once I arrive if necessary, and co-workers would only have to transport it home. Should it be washed or just cut off the plant and left dry? Should it be wrapped in anything or transported in a paper bag, plastic or something else? I want it to remain fresh and not wilt.

Please advise,

Lynn

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
balloonflower(5b Denver CO, HZ 5-6, Sunset 2b)

The best way to keep it as fresh as possible--put it like cut flowers in a jar/glass of water. But, if that's not easy--depends on how you get to work, etc., then parsley does last pretty well--think of the bunches you buy at the store. They only get occasional misting, yet don't wilt terribly. Cut, rinse, and wrap in a paper towel, then place in a zippy bag. Keep refrigerated. (I use the paper towel because you want to draw the water off the parsley leaves--they will mold). I don't like to band or tie the bunches--more air will lead to less mold.

Bookmark   October 21, 2013 at 11:11PM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

It is easy. One way is as baloonflowe said.

The other way, soak in water rinse put it in plastic bag, keep in fruits section of frig. Parsley is frost tolerant. The cooler, the better.

While in transport, wrap in wet paper towel, put it in a paper or plastic bag.
Parsley is very hardy. It can last fresh for days. The only thing is if kept open(without moisture) will become droopy. Even then it is edible.

Bookmark   October 22, 2013 at 1:25AM
Desertgarden- NW Las Vegas Z9a @ 2300 f

Thank you both.

Lynn

Bookmark   October 22, 2013 at 8:19AM
More Discussions
Where can I get Equisetum arvense or Horsetail
I've been looking for Equisetum arvense or Horsetail...
forestelves
Whats wrong with my basil????
I am struggling with this fussy creature... Just after...
mohort
My attempt at potting rosemary
So I attempted to take some of those already started...
dbobul
I need help in mulching
What kind of mulch should I use in my herb garden?? my...
Keith Peñaflorida
Bushy Dill
I am an admirer of the the large and lush fresh dill...
chervil2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™