greek oregano - questions on it "dying" back

david883(5/6)October 9, 2013

Alright so I have two greek oregano plants (one planted last year, the other this year). Last year and, now, this year the plants have stayed pretty low growing until late in the summer when it began growing "tall" (maybe 10-12") for a few weeks. At that point, basal foliage starts growing and the taller, woodier growth, starts dying off. I haven't seen anything online mentioning any of this so I'm wondering if this is normal or I've got some crazy growing conditions that are making these plants do wacky things? Any insight would be appreciated!

Thanks again!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
florauk(8/9)

The taller stems sound as if it was getting ready to flower. Did it? That's perfectly normal. Clip over the plants with your shears after flowering. You might want to do this in spring rather than autumn if you have cold winters. I harvest the flower stems for use in the kitchen.

Bookmark   October 10, 2013 at 4:15AM
david883(5/6)

Yes, they did flower (or start to). I'm usually pretty good at keeping the whole thing pinched back but towards the end of the summer I get a little lazy and it starts getting taller and trying to flower. I wont cut anything back just yet - I'll wait until spring.

Thanks!!!

Bookmark   October 10, 2013 at 6:28AM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

Growing (Tall), flowering, producing seeds, in plants world that is "mission accomplished" in some cases.

Bookmark   October 10, 2013 at 8:05AM
More Discussions
banana and lime mints
I would love to hear from anyone growing these and...
shane11
Need help with basil and other herbs
I am trying to grow herbs and I live in India. Firstly,...
zenovia_p
Where can I get Equisetum arvense or Horsetail
I've been looking for Equisetum arvense or Horsetail...
forestelves
Leaning Basil
I have this basil I grew from a cutting and since I...
Shower-MayFlower
Small ant like insect in chamomile flower
Hello dear friends This is first time I am growing...
saoodhashim
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™