growing white sage

nclonoOctober 6, 2011

I have several white sages (salvia apinea) planted in the ground, and live in zone 6. I hear that the plant is native to Southern California, but also that it grows in North Dakota. Does anyone know about cold tolerance? Should I cut it back and mulch heavily, or let it be? Will it lose leaves this winter? I've grown other sages, but this is a first with white sage. I can find very little info on the web, if anyone has any experience with the plant I'd love to hear your stories! Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

If it indeed grows wild/survives naturally in your location and the sage you have is from that stock, then it would be hardy. Otherwise, I read that Salvia apiana is hardy to zone 8 so it would not be hardy in your location.

Info on the web - "salvia apiana" got me 98,000 hits at google. I think that is plenty of reading material for you! :)

FataMorgana

Bookmark   October 7, 2011 at 8:07AM
nclono

definitely doesn't grow naturally here, i bought the seeds and babied them as seedlings.

the internet tells me a lot about the plant, its uses, and its origins, and everyone says its iffy to try and grow them in places that get below 20, but that it is possible.

just looking for tips on whether folks have had success, and if i should cut it back, mulch it, or just cross my fingers...

Bookmark   October 7, 2011 at 8:25AM
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

Zone 6, which I am officially in, gets below 20 degrees F a lot throughout the winter season - sometimes for weeks at a time. I'm sure your zone 6 isn't much different.

You may be able to bump up a zone with a microclimate, but not multiple zones. I would not try to over winter them outdoors. You may be able to over winter them, perhaps in an unheated garage or porch. I've done that with italian figs (not hardy in my zone).

FataMorgana

Bookmark   October 7, 2011 at 8:56AM
More Discussions
Wanted: Herb seeds for SASE
Hello. I am trying to do a project with my daughters...
Brenda Lee
Unidentified Herb, Maybe Mint??
Moved into a new home over the winter. Within the...
Trinacria
Tea identification
Hello guys, My father in law had a neighbor who used...
beltroniko
Looking for real Italian Mentuccia
Hi All; I am looking for seeds or plants of the Italian...
entwife
Mint leaves have black spots. Is it mint rust?
I have taken a lot of gardening tips by reading this...
patio_garden
Sponsored Products
Serena & Lily Bobbin Ottoman
Serena & Lily
Mykonos Blue Wexler Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Sterling Medallion Rosette - White
Signature Hardware
Furniture of America Mircella 4-piece White Leatherette Bedroom Set
Overstock.com
Elegant Home Delaney White Wall Cabinet with 2 Doors - 7930
$64.03 | Hayneedle
LED Panel Light Fixture - 44W, 2ft x 2ft
Super Bright LEDs
Patio Living Concepts Outdoor Lighting. Catalina White Outdoor Floor Lamp with a
Home Depot
Topaz Paige Backless Barstool
Cost Plus World Market
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™