how do you pulverize stevia after drying

barb_roselover_inOctober 4, 2012

I hung my stevia up to dry and it has done so. Now what do I do in order to use it for sweetening. Is it safe? I guess that would be true of others as well. How do you get them so you can use them? Thanks for any help. I just am dubious of using them safely. Barb

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

No one is answering barb - so I'll stick my oar in. I have never grown Stevia, so I don't really know how it feels when dried. But for all the other herbs I dry I just rub them between my hands and they crumble easily. I don't think they will need 'pulverising'. I don't see why there would be any safety issues, unless you had hung them to dry in a polluted environment.

Bookmark   October 7, 2012 at 6:20AM
noinwi

Some health food stores used to sell powdered stevia leaves. I still have some from years ago. You just use it to taste for something like tea. It is a little bitter if too much is used and it's best mixed with another sweetener, IMO. The powdered leaves will give whatever you use it in a green tint(so in tea it wouldn't matter). I still use it occasionally if I'm making something with artificial sweetener and I'll combine it with other sweeteners to taste.
I wouldn't rub it between my hands, though, as the sweetness will 'cling' for a while. A mortar and pestle or coffee grinder(or rolling pin and ziplock bag)would work, but let the powder settle before opening a grinder if that is used. HTH

Bookmark   October 7, 2012 at 10:59AM
noinwi

There's a new thread on baking with stevia that just popped up in the cooking forum that you might want to keep an eye on if you need ideas for uses...

Here is a link that might be useful: baking with stevia

Bookmark   October 7, 2012 at 11:12AM
rockwhisperer(6a)

I have used homegrown Stevia before and I made "tea" out of the leaves and then used it for sweetening tea. Agreed, it does have a little bitter twang, but home grown is less twang than processed stevia that you buy. The problem with stevia is that it is different potencies from plant to plant, and also, I think, from year to year depending on growing conditions so a lot of using homegrown stevia is trial and error. I would think powdered stevia leaves might not sweeten uniformly but I don't know for sure since I never tried that. Good luck! --Ilene

Bookmark   October 29, 2012 at 9:09AM
More Discussions
Tea identification
Hello guys, My father in law had a neighbor who used...
beltroniko
Herb Seedlings Yellowing - Basil, Oregano, Chives
I just started some herb seeds and was wondering if...
syntria
Mint leaves darkening and curling - HELP!!
Hey! I have an indoor mint plant that I purchased from...
James Lim
plants in cat litter bags?
I've seen pics of plants growing in reusable shopping...
mystmaiden
banana and lime mints
I would love to hear from anyone growing these and...
shane11
Sponsored Products
Marine Glass Collection Dining Table
| Italy Design
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Chandra Rugs Rowe Taupe/Brown 7 ft. 9 in.
Home Depot
Bramble - Burns Plasma TV Stand - 24156
Great Furniture Deal
Designers Edge L131 Green Portable Work Light - Green - L1312
$48.35 | Hayneedle
Jesper Office | Sit-Stand Adjustable Computer Table
YLiving.com
Custom Corded Square Pillow
Home Decorators Collection
Swank Pressure Balance Shower System With Dual Shower Heads - Lever Handle
Signature Hardware
Hinkley Lighting Luna Titanium LED Outdoor Wall Sconce