evergreen herbs zone 7

louisianagal(z7bMS)October 22, 2008

I am looking for a plant to put in the front of a border in spots where the bed curves out. Should be low growing. I want an evergreen that takes full sun, southern exposure, zone 7b, north Mississippi. I thought of herbs. Have 2 kinds of thyme, chives, and others elsewhere in this garden, and lavendar, chives, sage in other gardens.

I am thinking of using thyme again, but want other suggestions, if any. I am not an expert on herbs, by any means.

Thank you,

laurie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plantermunn

I am in zone 6 we have had a string of warm years.

I have had good lock with bronze fennel, lavander,sage, rue and a rosemary thet lived a few years.

Bookmark   October 24, 2008 at 2:51PM
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

Are you looking for culinary herbs, medicinal herbs, or either?

FataMorgana

Bookmark   October 25, 2008 at 8:54PM
louisianagal(z7bMS)

I would consider either.
Laurie

Bookmark   October 25, 2008 at 11:07PM
ltcollins1949(9a TX)

How about a rosemary plant? You can get an upright or a creeper a/k/a prostrate.

Arp Rosemary: Although rosemary is considered a tender perennial in most plant books, 'Arp' Rosmarinus officinalis has proven winter hardy as far north as Washington, D.C. The plant is a relatively slow grower; heights eventually reach 36" to 48" and widths of 18" to 24", and it likes well-drained soil in a sunny loction.

And best of all, rosemary is a great culinary herb that can be used in many recipes. It is one of my top five herb favorites.

Bookmark   October 26, 2008 at 11:55AM
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

I found these just flipping through a book on herbs - rosemary, thyme, sage, lavender, bay, hen & chicks, bayberry, eucalyptus, agave, artemisia, juniper, holly, citrus, cedar, tea (Camellia sinensis), boxwood, aloe, gardenia, oregon grape, patridge berry, bamboo (sort of evergreen), pine (various), etc.....

Check for hardiness and culture. Go to a library and find a copy of The Herb Society of America New Encyclopedia of Herbs and Their Uses by Deni Brown. You are sure to find more plants that retain their foliage.

FataMorgana

Bookmark   October 27, 2008 at 8:54AM
river_city(7b)

Another nice guide is "The Beginner's Herb Garden", also by the Herb Society of America.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Beginner's Herb Garden

Bookmark   November 3, 2013 at 9:15AM
balloonflower(5b Denver CO, HZ 5-6, Sunset 2b)

When you say low-growing, how low are you thinking? Many of the herbs do grow up more. (Someone mentioned bronze fennel, which is a beautiful useful and ornamental, but tall and invasive) You could give the creeping rosemary a try--it would be pretty and useful. You're at the low temp end of hardiness, but if you're talking south and full exposure, you may have the right microclimate for it. Thymes are fun--there are so many to pick from. I don't know how they stay during winter for you, as an evergreen. Orange balsam, lemon, variegated--you can go with some different types, or there are all the ornamentals to pick from.

Bookmark   November 3, 2013 at 10:39AM
wally_1936(8b)

And then there is oregano, makes good ground cover.

Bookmark   November 3, 2013 at 12:19PM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

You want LOW growing, Not to take over, ...I will scratch rosemary , oregano and lavender out.
My suggestion is either thyme or sage. Sage is a better evergreen than thyme and has a nice silver green color.

Bookmark   November 4, 2013 at 5:57AM
More Discussions
HELP!!! My mint plant is growing SMALLER!!!
Just over a week ago, I purchased a potted mint plant...
James Lim
Unidentified Herb, Maybe Mint??
Moved into a new home over the winter. Within the...
Trinacria
Looking for real Italian Mentuccia
Hi All; I am looking for seeds or plants of the Italian...
entwife
How should I dry my parsley leaves?
I have three large bunches of Parsley. How should I...
zzackey
Wanted: Herb seeds for SASE
Hello. I am trying to do a project with my daughters...
Brenda Lee
Sponsored Products
Evergreen Throw
$69.99 | Dot & Bo
Estate Pre-Lit Christmas Wreath - 30" dia. Christmas Decor
$149.00 | FRONTGATE
Estate Pre-lit Vertical Spray Christmas Decor
$119.00 | FRONTGATE
Evergreen Enterprises Portly Bunny Garden Statue - EG84974
$25.76 | Hayneedle
Woodland Cordless Mailbox Swag
Grandin Road