Regarding my basil saplings and a little about my basil

marcky97October 10, 2011

Hey guys how's it going?

My saplings are like 1 month old I think or a month and a half, I dunno. Today, my friend watered it I think, cause it was wet already, anyway, I think that he knocked one of my saplings over and I made it upright again but it was like slouching a little. I was just wondering if it'll return back to normal and straight.

Also, I tend to underwater my basil in hopes I don't overwater it. So I seem to be doing both somehow. When it recovers from underwaterage, Some leaves turn yellow and fall off. Btw, it doesn't really have drainage. The watering of my basil is really a challenge for me. I'll post pictures when I can of both of them.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fatamorgana2121

You do want drainage. If you have it in something that doesn't have holes, raid your recycle bin for yogurt, ricotta cheese, or some other plastic container you can poke holes in. Transplant it. Mother Nature does drainage and you should too.

FataMorgana

Bookmark   October 11, 2011 at 8:55AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Losing proposition. You really cannot water properly unless your container has adequate drainage holes. 'Underwatering' to compensate for zero drainage won't work.

Bookmark   October 13, 2011 at 11:16PM
marcky97

Thanks for the answers. My friend is just watering it and it seems to be oddly looking good. Like the one that I thought was dead and was putting off all the time to cut it, the branch of it that didn't have brown leaves turned green again. I think it was dehydrated for a long time. I also decided to see if I can drill a hole in my pot instead of looking for a new one

Bookmark   October 16, 2011 at 8:51AM
rweakley(8)

On that note, I have a healthy looking young plant, but it is starting to display some spotting as well. Mostly small light brown spots but as you can see, a larger one has developed as well. Does this just look like sunburn from wet leaves or something I should be concerned about?

Bookmark   October 16, 2011 at 5:05PM
rweakley(8)

There are a couple other leaves with the light tan spots as well.

Bookmark   October 20, 2011 at 9:50AM
More Discussions
My attempt at potting rosemary
So I attempted to take some of those already started...
dbobul
Anyone here who grows Nepeta?
I want to grow Nepeta but not Nepeta Cataria (catnip)....
cooperdr_gw
How many seeds do I plant in a seed starter kit cell?
I'm sure this is one of those questions that almost...
drayven
I need help in mulching
What kind of mulch should I use in my herb garden?? my...
Keith Peñaflorida
Need help with basil and other herbs
I am trying to grow herbs and I live in India. Firstly,...
zenovia_p
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™