Finding a retail nursery in South Florida

albabyAugust 16, 2011

As we move through the summer rainy season, I'm putting together my list of garden projects - one of which is finally landscaping a very long, narrow patch along my back patio. We've decided to go with a mix of sansevieria and heliconias. But I've got literally 100' feet that I need to plant out. That means I've got to find a good local nursery that's got both a large quantity of both types of plants and (preferably) a decent price.

Does anyone have any good general recommendations for finding a retail nursery? There's always google, of course - but if there's a website that contains reviews of nurseries, it would be very helpful. And of course, if anyone has a particular nursery that they think would be a good choice, I'd welcome specific recommendations as well.

Alan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Yme405(10b SW Fla)

Where are you exactly (and the radius you would be willing to travel to)? I could recommend a few in SW Fla. I met a bunch of very dedicated folks at a recent native plant sale, but they'd never show up in a google search.

Chrissy

Bookmark   August 16, 2011 at 10:01AM
albaby

Chrissy, we're over in Miami - SE Florida. Homestead and western Broward County are certainly doable, but I don't think we'd head over west.

Alan

Bookmark   August 16, 2011 at 1:04PM
Yme405(10b SW Fla)

Aww sorry I couldn't help, but I'm sure someone else here will be able. Seems there are a lot of folks I that neck of the woods, er glades :)

Bookmark   August 16, 2011 at 2:31PM
Richard78(10a-Ft. Lauderdale)

If you go south on Flamingo Road after 595 there's literally one nursery after another. You can hit 5-10 with no trouble and comparison shop for what you need. Also, try
Jesse Durko's Nursery
5151 SW 70th Avenue
Davie FL 33314
(954) 792-2297

Bookmark   August 20, 2011 at 9:23PM
drgnflyz(10a)

I realize this post is almost a year old- but if you are still interested, ECHO nursery is WAY worth a trip to SW Florida; just across alligator alley for you! http://echonet.org

Their global farm is extensive and amazing!

I relocated to Sanibel Island 10 months ago and my goal is to slowly turn 100% of my landscape edible/useable.

The tours they give there are worth the trip- I have been there many times and always learn new things when there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Echo Farms

Bookmark   August 11, 2012 at 5:20PM
More Discussions
Planting Spices
Hey folks, I was doing a bit of google searching, which...
silver4490
Miami/CoralGables ... 10b meet
Good morning everyone, I just saw Silvia//Oakland/9b...
alexcortez
Shrub border.
Hi any suggestions for a shrub next to a fence between...
garyfla_gw
looking for more info on this tree
I was given a pod off a "Giant Star Potato",...
master_gardner_nick
What is your best/favorite ground cover?
I need ground cover ideas. I love to fill in places...
aroidgardener
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™