Inner leaves on fans dying

weeper_11(2b SK)August 23, 2012

I've had some problems with some of my daylilies this year, although for the most part they seem to have been hit hard earlier, and now many of them are greening up and growing new fans. One of my plants, however, Creature of the Night, has been looking pale green with lots of brown leaves all summer. Many of the fans are browning off, starting with the INSIDE leaves, rather than the outside. It did not bloom this year, nor did it send up scapes.

I dug it up today and the roots seem to be in good health. However, when I pull out the dead leaves from the center of each fan, they are rotten and moist at the bottoms..and there are little white weevil looking critters crawling in the mushyness(yuck!). The fans are not floppy nor are they wilting quickly the way I have seen plants with crown rot. What is this?!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
silverkelt(Z5b/Southern Maine)

Im wondering if its crown rot, but larvae have moved in eating the residue.

Sounds rather disgusting .. Anyway to pull, bath in the chlorine solution and maybe just pot up for the winter.. Is creature of the night a dormant? I would assume so just becuase of your zone.

Looking at the list of potential bug problems for daylilies, I really dont see a common larvae that attacks any that I know of anyways.

Bookmark   August 24, 2012 at 10:05AM
More Discussions
What are you most looking forward to this spring?
I know just having winter and all the aggravation it...
organic_kitten
Blooms...I need blooms....Winter is too long!
Have to have a few just to get by Front area Then the...
organic_kitten
Looking better...Knee and Spring's Arrival
January 10th, while walking across a level floor, carrying...
organic_kitten
finally got into this forum,and have to learn how to do it
I had to really hunt to find this forum again and couldn't...
jean zone 8 Ar.
Now for charming "C" daylilies!
Let's see what you all have, I Need to add more to...
sherrygirl zone5
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™