Large Fennel Plant in Veggie Garden

claired(z9 CA)November 10, 2011

I have a really beautiful large fennel plant in the veggie garden that attracted tons of beneficial insects in the summer. I'm not worried about it being a bad companion plant because I have an abundance of space in the vegetable garden so I can plant other plants elsewhere.

My question is, I know its a perennial so why not just cut it back and enjoy its beauty next spring? If I take it out this fall won't it take a long time to start from scratch (by seed) to grow another spectacular plant? I'm not growing it for the bulbs, just for looks and beneficial insects at this point. Thanks for any advice..

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

I you have the space I see no reason at all to dig it up. You wouldn't do that with the perennials in the flower garden would you? I have a clump of bronze fennel on my allotment which has been there for years.

One tip. Fennel grows a long tap root so even quite small plants are hard to pull up. Your fennel will almost certainly self seed so you need to pull up the babies as soon as possible.

Bookmark   November 10, 2011 at 1:30PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Daisyduckworth(Aust)

If it isn't broken, why fix it?

Bookmark   November 11, 2011 at 5:51PM
More Discussions
Sage Recommendations?
hey everyone Just wondering if you can recommend the...
2bcleansed
Curly leaf peppermint
Does anyone know where to obtain curly leaf peppermint...
Web Loafer
Black flies around indoor mint plant
A couple of days ago I noticed black flies around my...
James Lim
Herb & Edible Flower Round Robin Swap
Inviting everyone to join my Herb & Edible Flower...
EricaBraun
Can you please name this herb (Qatar)
It smells more like Mint, but it looks like a Basil, I...
maufie123
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™