Do you have luck growing spinach?

zzackey(8b GA)August 27, 2013

I tried growing spinach from seeds last year and they didn't germinate. I did cold strat them. Have you had any luck growing it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carolb_w_fl(zone 9/10)

Never.

Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 11:13AM
derbyka

Grew some spinach last year. It was a salad variety. It took awhile to germinate. I helped to sprinkle a fine layer of peat or seed starting mix and tamp it down over the seeds to keep them moist. Picked it as baby greens but had problems with something eating it. Going to plant a lot more this year.

Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 1:22PM
zzackey(8b GA)

I'll try the seed starting mix this time. I was lucky and got some on clearance at Dollar General. Thanks! I could eat it every day.

Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 2:34PM
shuffles_gw

zackey,

I grow spinach every year with good success. Around the first of October, I fold half a pack of seeds in a paper towel, wet it and leave in a plastic bag in the refrigerator for 12 to 14 days. By that time the seeds have sprouted and I plant the sprouts in small containers. It is tedious, but we love spinach. If you use a zip lock bag and zip it, the seeds won't sprout. Leave it unzipped so the seeds can breath.

Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 4:26PM
morningloree(9b)

Red Malabar is used as a substitute by some people. I am growing it, but have never tasted it.

Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 6:26PM
zzackey(8b GA)

I am growing some Malabar spinach now. It doesn't taste the same. Mine isn't doing much. Mostly trying to seed.

Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 8:06PM
keiki(10 FL)

I dont have luck with growing it from seed but do ok if I buy a 6 or 9 pack of seedlings from the store. Here I put it out in late October or early November. I grow okinawa spinach year round. It tastes different than regular spinach you buy at publix but I like it on my sandwiches or added to romain in a salad.

Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 9:33PM
Truscifi

I had some that germinated well this past spring. 18 plants. Every one was eaten by deer and/or squirrels.

So no. I haven't had luck growing spinach. ;)

Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 11:04PM
More Discussions
looking for more info on this tree
I was given a pod off a "Giant Star Potato",...
master_gardner_nick
Miami/CoralGables ... 10b meet
Good morning everyone, I just saw Silvia//Oakland/9b...
alexcortez
Weather permitting?
Has Clearwater/St Pete weather warmed enought to set...
Lydie
What is your best/favorite ground cover?
I need ground cover ideas. I love to fill in places...
aroidgardener
Mango and Lychee Blooms "fried" by the recent Freeze
Just wanted to vent a little to my fellow mango and...
puglvr1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™