What's wrong with my basil plant?

tehc0wNovember 8, 2010

I've tried to grow a lot of stuff before and all of my plants seem to get afflicted with this. It has hit my eggplant, my snap peas and now my basil. I did some google searches but I haven't found anything that matches.

Images here: http://imgur.com/uLjtf.jpg

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ykerzner(9 TX)

Looks like either a nitrogen or iron deficiency.

Bookmark   November 8, 2010 at 11:50PM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

I would suggest cultural problems rather than deficiencies. The plants are, I assume, indoors where basil does not get optimum light and air movement. The apparent fungal problem (browning lower leaves) look like symptoms of over watering and the leaf damage looks like spider mite which loves indoor conditions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spider mite on basil

Bookmark   November 9, 2010 at 12:22PM
tehc0w

Excellent insight. I have had spider mite issues in the past though I haven't seen any on my basil plants so far.

I don't think I'm over watering though. I usually water when the leaves get a bit soft (so once a day). If anything I feel like I'm under watering since the soil drains very easily.

Bookmark   November 9, 2010 at 11:26PM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

Once a day is almost certainly far too often unless your home is kept incredibly hot with no humidity. Stick your finger into the soil and if it feels slightly moist an inch down don't water. Leaves droop from overwatering as well as underwatering so check the soil, not just the appearance of the plant. It's easier to revive a dry plant than save a drowned one.

If you do not have grow lights you are pushing the limits trying to grow basil indoors in winter. It is likely to be sickly and sad.

Bookmark   November 10, 2010 at 5:13AM
More Discussions
Growing herbs
Hi all new to this gardening so want as someone something. I...
margowicz
My attempt at potting rosemary
So I attempted to take some of those already started...
dbobul
Starting & Growing Mandrake
Hello! So, I was lucky enough to receive 5 Mandrake,...
stardrifting
I'm starting to grow a small herb garden. I need help and advice
I live in the Philippines in the southern part of it....
ktp101
Basil has me stumped
Hi - any idea what is attacking my basil? It is in...
martini100_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™