how big will lavender grow from seed for their first year?

bonzgirlNovember 7, 2007

Hi,

I'm interested in growing lavender from seed next year to fill in some space I have in my yard.

But wondering how fast do they grow, and how many years/months does it take for them to start brooming?

If it takes too long, I will probably buy small pots next spring...

Any advices/tips will be appreciated! Thanks.

-b

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Heathen1(10a)

Well, besides asking whether you live in a WET part of Seattle and that lavendar likes it to dry out between waterings, I don't think that you have enough sun/heat to get it to bloom the first year. :(

Bookmark   November 7, 2007 at 8:17PM
dicentra(z6B)

Aside from the issue above...I've started lavender from seed for many years under indoor grow lights. The seedlings get about 4 inches under the lights, then I transplant them in spring outdoors into sunny, well-draining areas. Many have bloomed the second year from seedlings. It takes a few years to actually get the bushy look (depending upon the type that you grow). I've also purchased lavender in small pots to replant in public areas and some still look fabulous right now in November. If you have the right growing conditions, they will thrive either way, from seed or purchased plant. IMHO, it is easier to buy the plants, as the germination percentages vary with starting lavender seeds.

Bookmark   November 8, 2007 at 9:41AM
bonzgirl

Thanks both for replying to my question!

So it takes 2 years to have them bloom... Hum... I guess I might have to buy potted plant next spring.

-b

Bookmark   November 10, 2007 at 11:09AM
tomtuxman(6bNY)

I winterseeded lavender one year (I think it was Munstead). It germinated beautifully by the Spring, perhaps my best winterseeding experience. The plants bloomed the first year, got about 12 inches high. I highly recommend checking out the winterseeding forum.

Bookmark   November 15, 2007 at 3:26PM
karen_b(6a s.c. PA)

I'm in agreement with tomtuxman. I've had the same experience with munstead 3 years in a row wintersowing the seeds and then transplanting into a sunny dry location. The first year I planted them in my herb garden which was too moist, when I moved them to a drier location they took off. Remember you won't get a true munstead (or any lavender for that matter) from seeds. But I don't care I just want alot of cheap lavender so I take what I get with seeds.

Bookmark   November 16, 2007 at 9:28AM
vera_eastern_wa(5a-5b)

Many English Lavender's are sold as seed and can be found in many a good seed catalog.
In my experience both 'Vera' and 'Munstead' bloom beautifully the 2nd year from seed and were about full sized shrubs. It's hot and dry here though between mid June and mid October. There aren't too many perennials that bloom their best the first year and for a sub-shrub like Lavender blooming the 2nd year is pretty good :D
Here's two (2)yr. old plants....

I also get about 8-10 self-sown 'Munstead' in spring around the plants where I allow the 2nd round of wands go to seed...by fall they are about 8" tall and about 8" wide. Ones I've started indoors in January that were planted in April were bout 10" by 10" by then.

Bookmark   November 19, 2007 at 12:02AM
bonzgirl

Thank you all for more info about growing lavender from seed.

I'm thinking about winter seeding this winter, so will definitely try some lavender seeds. Will make sure to get "Munstead"!

-b

Bookmark   November 19, 2007 at 8:23PM
vera_eastern_wa(5a-5b)

b...

Lavender wintersows beautifully :D

Vera

Bookmark   November 21, 2007 at 3:20PM
bangkokfreak

I bought a sachet of munstead seeds and planted them in a well-drained pot. After only a few days of watering and leaving indoors, the shoots started to come out. Now in the second week, I was wondering if anyone could tell me why some are tall (1.5 inches) but look leggy, while others seem that have started drying out. Is this a usual condition? DO I water too much? And when should I start getting them out in the sun? thank you very much.

Bookmark   November 27, 2007 at 7:29PM
matthewmb77

Re:bangkokfreak
Leggy seedlings means poor light exposure. Next time increase the amount of time they get direct light.

Bookmark   March 9, 2013 at 12:54AM
neetakangutkar

I have a couple of seedlings growing in a small pot of fern.. I was wondering if I should plant both together in a bigger pot or try to separate them, don't want to kill either one .. Will the lavender transplant alright or should I just leave be.

Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 11:27AM
More Discussions
Something is eating my basil leaves
Hello - I planted basil seeds in my raised garden and...
Bimaldshah
Where can I get Equisetum arvense or Horsetail
I've been looking for Equisetum arvense or Horsetail...
forestelves
How many seeds do I plant in a seed starter kit cell?
I'm sure this is one of those questions that almost...
drayven
Rosmarinus officinalis 'Barbeque'
I received this plant mail order and found it to be...
chervil2
Anyone here who grows Nepeta?
I want to grow Nepeta but not Nepeta Cataria (catnip)....
cooperdr_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™