Pomoma Pectin no-cook jam longevity

gnomeabram(SE Wisconsin 5B)July 16, 2009

I've been using Ball No-cook pectin to make raspberry freezer jam for a few years now because it works well with only a small amount of sugar. The one downside it has is the somewhat soupy consistancy of the jam.

I am thinking of trying Poloma because it gels a lot better, but am put off by their claim that the freezer jam will last only 1 week in the fridge. My Ball No-cook jam lasts at least 3 weeks in the fridge. Does anyone know why Poloma freezer jam goes bad so quickly?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ksrogers(EasternMass Z6)

Freezer jam is perishable due to it not being processed after its canned likle regular. No and low suagr jams are also affected within a few weeks and can also get moldy. If you want a safer product that will last much longer in the fridge, add a bit of acid blend or citric before its cooked. Pomona is a citrus based product that has no shelf life like regular and no/low sugar types. Furthermore, the low/no sugar types tend to be like a thick Jello as opposed to a spreadable jam. I would keep the fridge temp at 35-37 degrees and no higher. I have jars of Pomona sugarless that are in my fridge up to six months with no signs of mold.

Bookmark   July 16, 2009 at 9:40PM
Linda_Lou(SW Wa.)

When sugar is added in high amounts, it binds up water that allows molds and other bacteria to grow in the moisture.
So, with low or no sugar, you don't have that preserving quality. If you look at the Ball stuff, they normally put chemicals in it to prevent mold. The Pomona's is a natural product. Therefore, it molds more quickly. I don't keep freezer jam in the fridge, but always in the freezer. It thaws so fast you can spread it easily.

Bookmark   July 16, 2009 at 10:28PM
gnomeabram(SE Wisconsin 5B)

Thanks for clearing that up for me! I'm going to try a batch or 2 and see how I like it.

Bookmark   July 17, 2009 at 11:07AM
More Discussions
New low fat way to make "creamy soup" !!!!!!
I got this from "Cooking Light" Most recipes...
nancyjane_gardener
what i put up 2015
Looks like it's time to start this thread again, so...
misskimmie
Sterilizing jars and tools
Hello, I think I'm getting a little neurotic about...
giddyupgo
Cranberry Vinegar
Every few years I make a batch of cranberry vinegar...
CA Kate
Starting my own recipe
I love to cook, so how do I preserve my own recipes...
newatcanning
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™