Can I freeze chives and green onions?

buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)July 30, 2011

I have bountiful harvests of chives and green onions right now but there are only two of us and we can't eat them all at once. I do plant the onions multiple times for them to be ready at different times but still it is feast or famine.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pixie_lou

I do. Just snip them into ziploc bags. Then just open a bag and throw a bit into whatever I'm cooking.

I tried to dehydrate them once, but I just couldn't get them "dry" enough - they ended up tough and stringy.

Bookmark   July 30, 2011 at 10:30PM
kriswrite(zone 8)

Yes, I agree. Go ahead and chop them up however you usually use them and stick them in Ziplock freezer bags. In each bag, only put in an amount you typically use at one time.

Bookmark   July 31, 2011 at 4:20PM
nancedar(z7NC)

The little "snack" bags are quite useful for portions, however, they are storage not freezer bags so you get some air leakage. I put the scissor-snipped chives or the small sliced green onions in these little bags, then put them in a quart canning jar with a used lid and band. Saves space and labeling is done once on the jar, not every single little bag.

I also do this for black olives that I buy in huge cans and divvy up portions for pizza, diced yellow onions, chopped garlic, prepared leeks, and shredded cheeses. I call my freezer the "frozen pantry" since my flours, cornmeal/masa, oatmeal, dry yeast, and cooked rice live there too.

Nancy

Bookmark   July 31, 2011 at 6:58PM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

Great ideas, thanks

Bookmark   August 3, 2011 at 10:42PM
More Discussions
what i put up 2015
Looks like it's time to start this thread again, so...
misskimmie
What to grind with?
I want to grind up some garlic and some onions to make...
woco
Freezing stuffed peppers?
I have sooo many beautiful sweet peppers and quite...
aka_peggy
preserving venison
I have questions for those of you that harvest and...
KSprairie
*&%$#@!!! Marmalade!
After the "Key Lime Rubber Marmalade" and...
gardengrl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™