Lavender maintenance

tracydr(9b)December 12, 2011

I have a Spanish lavender. I've trimmed it back and I was wondering if I could divide it. I've had it for about two years.

If not, can I propagate it from cuttings?

Also, are the other types of lavenders as heat and drought hardy? Which ones bloom longer? Are any of them easy to start from seed?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
barbe_wa

I've started a lot of lavender plants from seed. Hybrid varieties probably won't come true, but the ones I've started had a very "lavendery" scent so I didn't worry about whether they were exactly like the parent. Wintersowing them works for me.

Bookmark   December 12, 2011 at 2:39PM
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

Search back posts for info on propagating lavender. I believe daisy has posting how to take and start cuttings multiple times.

FataMorgana

Bookmark   December 12, 2011 at 4:45PM
tracydr(9b)

Thanks! I've seen a lot of lavender seeds on places like Pinetree but I've heard they're hard to start. I hate to spend money on a bunch of plants but lavender does so well here.
Does the French and English lavender do as well with heat and drought as the Spanish types? My Spanish lavender does amazing in AZ, practically like a native plant!

Bookmark   December 12, 2011 at 11:09PM
tracydr(9b)

Ok, so I'll make some cuttings and divide. Now, can I have a lavender 101 class on the other types of lavenders and how to start from seed? I'm thinking about buying some seed but don't want to bother if they won't do well in the desert. Also, are some lavenders really difficult to start from seeds?
Which lavenders bloom for longer periods of time? My lavender blooms a short time in the early spring and then it's done. I'd like some blooms throughout the summer. I'll be planting in full sun, mixing with various
salvias , butterfly weed ,mints, catnips and other herbs to make a butterfly/hummingbird/bee garden around the edge of my veggie garden.

Bookmark   December 13, 2011 at 11:59AM
More Discussions
Leaning Basil
I have this basil I grew from a cutting and since I...
Shower-MayFlower
Growing lemon grass
Has anyone grown lemon grass from seed?
minirose1
thyme as a house plant
HAPPY 2015 with snow on the ground (just a dusting)...
mauri256
I'm starting to grow a small herb garden. I need help and advice
I live in the Philippines in the southern part of it....
ktp101
I need help in mulching
What kind of mulch should I use in my herb garden?? my...
Keith Peñaflorida
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™