Potted lavender seems to be dying off indoors

WonderWeaselDecember 14, 2012

Hello--

I have a 3 year-old 'Vera' Lavender plant (Lavandula angustifolia I believe is the proper name). It is potted, and since we occasionally have harsh winters here in Kansas City, I bring it indoors for the winter. In the past, this has not been much of a problem, because the plant was small enough to fit under supplemental grow lights, and I could limp it through the winter. This year, I don't have enough room to fit it under lights, so it is in an east-facing window that gets decent light in the mornings through the early afternoon. I acclimated the plant before I brought it indoors, and it seemed to adjust well for the first month and a half. As of the past couple of weeks, large canes have been dying off. My question is this: Will a lavender plant go dormant without full daylight/supplemental light, or is this something I should be worried about? I can include a picture, if that would help. Thanks for any and all advice!

--Jordan (WonderWeasel)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
CA Kate

First question: Is it getting too much water?

Bookmark   December 15, 2012 at 2:37AM
WonderWeasel

Hi westelle--

I have a moisture meter I use, and it is rarely ever watered. Over the past couple of months that it's been indoors, I've only had to water it twice. It has a pretty large (either 15 or 20 gallon) container.

Bookmark   December 15, 2012 at 5:52AM
CA Kate

I've had this happen to Lavender, but planted in the ground outside. I wonder if your plant is getting old. Maybe you need to give it a hard pruning. I pruned one down to the ground and had it come back better than ever. This is just a thought tho'.

Bookmark   December 15, 2012 at 11:51PM
WonderWeasel

That is definitely a possibility, because it does seem to be mostly the older branches that are beginning to die off. They may just be doing it faster because the plant's photosynthesis process is basically ground to a halt at this time of year.

Bookmark   December 16, 2012 at 5:33PM
WonderWeasel

I attached a pic so you can see how it's dying off.

Bookmark   December 17, 2012 at 5:32AM
CA Kate

It's old.

Bookmark   December 17, 2012 at 11:51PM
WonderWeasel

Several days later, the plant seems to be dormant. It still has several green branches, and it appears the dying off has stopped. I'm so glad it seems my plant was just going through a "mid-life crisis" lol. Thanks again for all of your input, westelle!

--Jordan

Bookmark   December 28, 2012 at 4:14AM
More Discussions
Basil has me stumped
Hi - any idea what is attacking my basil? It is in...
martini100_gw
I'm starting to grow a small herb garden. I need help and advice
I live in the Philippines in the southern part of it....
ktp101
banana and lime mints
I would love to hear from anyone growing these and...
shane11
Reputable seed company
For those who buy their seeds, who do you consider...
martini100_gw
Leaning Basil
I have this basil I grew from a cutting and since I...
Shower-MayFlower
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™