Herbal Tea

leonardocorn_8December 29, 2012

I'm thinking of growing an herbal tea garden this spring. Does anyone have any suggestions of good plants to grow for herbal tea? I grew chamomile last year and somewhat failed, but still enjoyed the little that I did get to have. I wish to continue growing those, if anyone has any tips, that would also be appreciated. Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

I would suggest searching through and reading back posts here. Herbal tea gardening has been discussed many times and you will surely enjoy the back posts.

Other than that, what do you like or want to get out of your garden? Medicinal teas? Teas for pleasure? A little of both? What flavors/teas do you already like? And what kind of growing conditions? A little more info will help us to make better suggestions.

FataMorgana

Bookmark   December 29, 2012 at 12:18PM
leonardocorn_8

A little of both I suppose. I enjoyed any kind of tea, so I'm more asking for the opinions of others. I plan to grow it in a pot with regular potting soil, since our soil is somewhat sandy. But, if sandy soil is more preferable, I can do that as well. I'm in zone 8.

Bookmark   December 29, 2012 at 12:36PM
linda_tx8(8)

For tea, I grow various mints, lemon grass and stinging nettle. Everything else I use for tea, I buy from stores.

Bookmark   December 29, 2012 at 3:44PM
CA Kate

Different types of Mint
Lemon balm
Lemon verbena
Culinary Sages
Thymes

Bookmark   December 29, 2012 at 9:59PM

Others to maybe try in your zone...bee balm, roselle, raspberry, mountain mint, chamomile, rose, dandelion, licorice, catnip, red clover, stevia, tulsi, chicory, ....

Be sure to check the medicinal effects out of any herb before consuming. Even those often drank for pleasure have effects that one should know about before using. Plants for a Future site will give you a decent intro to the uses and growing needs of anything we've listed here so far.

FataMorgana

Bookmark   December 30, 2012 at 2:46PM
lorabell NC(8)

My chamomile did only so so as well..for the last 4 years attempting. I'm now in zone 8, had NO trouble growing it in many of the colder zones I've lived. This year I'm wanting to try greek chamomile -a perannual instead of the annual German. Suppost to be stronger but easier to grow. Any thoughts?

Bookmark   January 2, 2013 at 12:05PM

I've personally had better luck with German chamomile but then I live in a cooler zone.

FataMorgana

Bookmark   January 3, 2013 at 8:24AM
More Discussions
My attempt at potting rosemary
So I attempted to take some of those already started...
dbobul
Something is eating my basil leaves
Hello - I planted basil seeds in my raised garden and...
Bimaldshah
African blue basil
I live in central TN and am looking for an African...
rksamon
I need help in mulching
What kind of mulch should I use in my herb garden?? my...
Keith Peñaflorida
Cuttings from thyme
I wonder, I live in Zone 6 and my thyme plant has made...
Steve349
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™