Things I've Learned
As I round out my 1st year of canning, I've realized that I've learned so much. I've learned:
1. I go through Marmalade like it's water! It's funny though, I don't eat it as marmalade. I end up turning it into sauces & marinades for pork & chicken.
2. I was never into preserves before but now that I've made my own, I like putting a TBSP or two in my morning oatmeal. This has curbed my gnarly sweet tooth exponentially. Probably because I have a little something sweet everyday instead of pigging out on a cake at the end of the week.
3. I prefer fridge pickles over canned pickles.
4. Even though I like preserves, I've learned that I'm not a fan of cherry preserves even though cherries are my favorite fruit. I do, however, love whole canned cherries for cocktails.
5. Homemade sauerkraut is the bomb diggity!
6. Having lemonade concentrate on hand is a God send.
7. I think my favorite thing ever is preserved lemons!
8. Marinated Red Bell Peppers have made a consistent presence in my winter lineup.
9. Having canned fruit makes for a quick snack on top of yogurt!
-And last but not least-
- HOLY COW do I go through a lot of tomato products! I've never realized how much tomatoes are in my general cooking until I started processing my own! And, not just regular canned tomatoes but sauces, salsas, ketchup, etc. I had no idea!
My first year was kind of a hodge podge of random preserves because I didn't know what I would actually use. When I canned the ungodly amount of tomatoes that I did last year, I thought surely I wouldn't go through all of them! It's nice having my 1st year under my belt so I can now know how to plan out my canning smartly! There are new things that I'm going to try but I'm going to try to do more vegetables this year.
Thank you everyone for all your help!