Can a water filter be used to change pH of water?

Rick7072(6b)December 9, 2012

I know that I need to lower the pH of the water I use for my indoor herb garden (basil, thyme, oregano), and I've gotten suggestions to use products such as PH Down. But I wonder if it's possible to install a water filter on my tap that can lower the pH. Does anyone know anything about doing this? Brita filters, reverse osmosis, etc? Thanks for any thoughts.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Nope, filters won't do it.

    Bookmark   December 9, 2012 at 9:14PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chervil2(z5 MA)

Filters can remove salts and minerals that affect the pH of water. The pH of highly purified water is hard to measure, due to the lack of ions present. You could buffer your water with the addition of low salt concentrations to obtain the desired pH. I am guessing that you are looking to obtain a neutral pH and so the addition of phosphates could help.

    Bookmark   December 10, 2012 at 1:34PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Thanks, chervil2. So am I right to think that a water filter would not DIRECTLY lower the pH, but by removing salts and minerals it would have the indirect consequence of lowering it? I think you're saying that I could EITHER use a a filter OR add low salt concentrations, and that either of these could/would have the effect of lowering the pH?

Or ... do I need to do both? I bought a product at a hydroponics store called PH Down and then called the manufacturer with advice on how to use it. When I told him of my 9.1 pH, he said that just using the solution would only work temporarily, that after a day or so the pH would most likely float right back up because of the probable high level of total dissolved solids. He said that I would have to first use a filter to remove the salts and minerals, and THEN the Ph Down would then be able to permanently lower the pH. Does that sound about right to you?

I'm pretty sure my water has a high content of sodium carbonate.

btw, what does it mean to "buffer" my water?

Thanks much for your help on this -- this is all learn-as-you-go for me.

    Bookmark   December 10, 2012 at 5:28PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Need help with basil and other herbs
I am trying to grow herbs and I live in India. Firstly,...
I'm starting to grow a small herb garden. I need help and advice
I live in the Philippines in the southern part of it....
Leaning Basil
I have this basil I grew from a cutting and since I...
Starting & Growing Mandrake
Hello! So, I was lucky enough to receive 5 Mandrake,...
Mitsuba and perilla
I have tried growing mitsuba and a few types of perilla...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™