Basil losing Leaves and very limp

Gardener103December 24, 2013

Hello,

I've had a very strange symptom appear on my basil.
I have had them outside for 2 days, and it's been raining for quite some time. When I brought them in, they were fine.

However, the next morning, one of the plants was completely leafless and very limp, as if it has withered completely!

I would greatly appreciate any help, as I am completely shocked by what has happened to it.

I have other basil plants that were outside too, and they seem very healthy.
It was in the 60's, and the rain was just drizzling.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HotHabaneroLady(7a Central MD)

I was tempted to put mine outside during the unseasonable warm spell we just had too! But I ultimately did not. At a guess, I could imagine that maybe the plant was overly watered, especially if the container it grows in has poor drainage. I know the rain wasn't heavy, but we did get a lot of it. At least here in Montgomery County. My other guess might be shock from an abrupt change from heat to warmth, especially if it had been staying somewhere like a cold windowsill. If you had it out yesterday, the cold would also do it no favors. These are just semi-wild guesses though!

Bookmark   December 25, 2013 at 2:25PM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

How can you grow basil in Maryland, in December ?

Basil is a REAL WARM weather herb. I have killed so many of them in May, one month after last frost , even later. It is very cold sensitive. Falling leaves is due to cold.

Bookmark   December 26, 2013 at 5:22AM
subtropix

I doubt taking your basil out for some rain killed it as long as you brought in back indoors before that cold front. The plant was probably already in decline. I lugged all my tropicals outside last weekend for the warm rains, including strong tropicals (coconuts, etc) without any problems. True, basil is very tropical herb, but temps locally at least were in the low 70's with mid 60's lows--too mild for cold damage...even for basil.

Bookmark   December 26, 2013 at 9:17AM
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

Even though the air temp was in the 60's, the rain could have been much colder - as I would guess the case to be in this time of the year. Plus if your plants are not hardened to rain, they could suffer much damage from that. All in all, basil shouldn't be outdoors unless it is summer or summer weather.

FataMorgana

Bookmark   December 26, 2013 at 2:51PM
More Discussions
Wanted: Herb seeds for SASE
Hello. I am trying to do a project with my daughters...
Brenda Lee
Sage Recommendations?
hey everyone Just wondering if you can recommend the...
2bcleansed
Curly leaf peppermint
Does anyone know where to obtain curly leaf peppermint...
Web Loafer
Different varieties of papalo?
I have papalo seed from 4 different vendors for a while...
KudosFromUdo
Mint leaves have black spots. Is it mint rust?
I have taken a lot of gardening tips by reading this...
patio_garden
Sponsored Products
Patio Living Concepts Outdoor Lighting. Catalina Black Umbrella Table Outdoor La
Home Depot
Sam Moore Jilly 3 over 3 Sofa - Basil - 70150022706BASILGRADEBCP:GLADIOLAOPAL
Hayneedle
Ellis Curtain Mateo Stripe Lined Duchess Valance - MATEO-DUCHESS-BASIL
$124.99 | Hayneedle
Fosters Point Glass With Cacho Pod Basil Lichen
Beyond Stores
Patio Living Concepts Outdoor Lighting. Bahama Weave Mojavi 30 in. Outdoor Table
Home Depot
Mateo Basil 100 x 30-Inch Lined Duchess Valance
$101.95 | Bellacor
Patio Living Concepts Outdoor Lighting. Catalina Bronze Table Lamp with Spa Shad
Home Depot
Variety Flavored Dog Biscuits 3-pack
$39.50 | FRONTGATE
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™