Preserving Pocket Soup

cannondJuly 24, 2012

I've been interested in making pocket soup, which is an old method of reducing defatted stock or broth to a jelly, then dehydrating it and cutting it into 1 inch squares. There is a recipe for this in Witty's Better Than Store Bought.

I've tasted the "essence" of the redux before it's dehydrated, and it's a winner. It should be frozen, of course, and can be reconstituted easily from the freezer. Witty suggests using a hot spoon.

Having to pressure can ump-teen quarts of stock again is getting old, but will dehydrated essence be shelf safe?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

There are no tested or approved guidelines for doing this so it is a do at your own risk thing. Freezing is the only approved and tested option.

It comes up now and then on some of the wilderness/survival forums but it always has lots of caveats attached. Things like must be totally dried, can quickly develop mold, turns rancid with time since it is difficult to get all the fat out, difficult to reconstitute into an edible form, etc.

It also has a fairly high botulism potential so requires heavy boiling after reconstituted.

It is one of those things that requires so much work and energy usage for such limited storage that it holds no appeal for me personally.

Dave

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 1:10PM
Linda_Lou(SW Wa.)

In one word... NO.

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 1:11PM
cannond

Thanks folks, for letting me know. I think the USDA is fine with jerky, but only a couple of months shelf life, right? Wrong? Help.

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 2:23PM
cannond

I should add I hate pressure canning. I follow the Ball Blue Book. I sit and watch the pressure canner in fear. It looks like a bomb. I think I'll just stick with a stock reduction and freeze it.

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 2:38PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Jerky guidelines.

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - Jerky

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 2:39PM
More Discussions
habanero gold question?
All the directions for habanero gold jelly call for...
jadeite
Roasted Tomato Garlic Soup
I had about 20 - 1 gallon bags filled with tomatoes...
SuzyQ2
Dehydrate Bok Choy
Does anyone have an experience dehydrating Bok Choy....
compostman
Future Leather Help
I made leather out of some super good tasting berry...
CA Kate
Sterilizing jars and tools
Hello, I think I'm getting a little neurotic about...
giddyupgo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™