Question About Transplanting Daylilies

alameda/zone 8August 20, 2012

I have some daylilies that need to be moved, some I need to repot for awhile until I rework a bed and some in pots that need to be planted. Can I do this now or should I wait until it cools off? I am in east Texas - it is in the mid 90's and still hot but not bad. At least 94 doesnt seem bad to me after last summer of 105 daily for 3 months......I still have 3 blooming - Beautiful Edgings, Amber Spyglass and Ultraviolet Mood has a big bloom scape. Thanks for any advice!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
beachlily z9a

I'm in 9a in FL. Here on the beach, we seldom reach over 90 degrees. I start moving and planting in late Oct/early Nov. with the intention of ending by Thanksgiving. Plants really appreciate the cooler weather and it's much easier to keep them hydrated than it is with higher temps. If it is easy for you, maybe wait a month, pot up what you need to empty the bed. Finish the bed and let it set for a while and then replant. Good luck!!

Bookmark   August 20, 2012 at 6:57PM
alameda/zone 8

I have about 20 lilies, about half of them small fans, that I need to pot up temporarily. Also forgot to mention.....I have bought some from the Lily Auction that will arrive probably in September - not sure whether to pot those up or put them right in the garden. Any suggestions on that? By Sept., it will probably be a good bit cooler so might be better to put them in the ground so the roots can grow....but not sure. Thanks for the advice!

Bookmark   August 20, 2012 at 7:34PM
avedon_gw

I have 4 daylilies ordered that should arrive by September 28. Unless we are having a horrendous heat wave, they will be planted directly in the ground. Also, we will put up a shade cover, but only if we think it is absolutely necessary. Avedon

Bookmark   August 20, 2012 at 8:26PM
xokientx(z7aOK)

Pot them up and keep them in the shade until the weather cools.
Ed

Bookmark   August 20, 2012 at 9:01PM
alameda/zone 8

Thanks, will do that. Dont want to take any chances!

Bookmark   August 21, 2012 at 11:32PM
More Discussions
How cold can it get!
I am experimenting here!! seeing if I can start a...
Cindy zone 6a
Joan Derifield or Man of Sorrows
I would love to have both of these, but I'm thinking...
ruthz
Those wonderful "W" daylilies, let's see them!
We would like to see all of the wonderfyl W dsylilies!...
sherrygirl zone5
NOIDS
Like Indian cast system the NOIDs appear to be low...
brigarif Khan
24/7 daylilies in year 2
I tried the following varieties. Key Largo Moon Kokomo...
Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™