canned relish looks very thin

casi(5)July 13, 2014

I canned 5 pints of relish today for a zucchini relish recipe using cucumbers instead. I have made this one other time using the cucumbers and didn't have a problem. The recipe is very similar to the one in the Ball Blue Book, only more. It has 10 cups zuc/cucs, 4 cups of onion, 4 1/2 cups sugar and 2 1/2 cups of vinegar. I simmered it for 30 min. Is it possible that I could "fix" the 5 pints? I was hoping that when the sugar cooled that it would thicken....it called for a tablespoon of cornstarch and I even added an extra but it is still soupy. Could I cook it again? I was even thinking of cooking some additional cucs down and adding it to what I already have.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Casi - I don't know where you got the recipe from but cornstarch?? Are you sure this is a safe recipe to use? Generally speaking cornstarch isn't allowed in canning. It is on the list of restricted thickeners. It not only breaks down in the jars but slows the heat penetration.

As to the thinness - home canned relish is actually supposed to be somewhat thin and soupy for safety purposes and proper heat penetration. You then just drain off any excess liquid after you open the jar for use.

Dave

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 11:21PM
More Discussions
Cherry jam not setting
I made sweet cherry jam yesterday, without added pectin...
creativesolver
What to grind with?
I want to grind up some garlic and some onions to make...
woco
Sterilizing jars and tools
Hello, I think I'm getting a little neurotic about...
giddyupgo
what i put up 2015
Looks like it's time to start this thread again, so...
misskimmie
Future Leather Help
I made leather out of some super good tasting berry...
CA Kate
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™