Do I have to have a pressure canner for spaghetti sauce?

casi(5)July 14, 2012

I have been surfing thru some of the postings.....my DH wants me to can some spaghetti sauce but from what I'm reading I need to have a pressure canner, is that true? Is there no way to can without one? I just froze the tomatoes last year but I still have a bunch left because it wasn't as handy as having the sauce already made.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
readinglady(z8 OR)

You need a pressure canner for sauces with meat. There are some pasta sauce recipes without meat that don't require a pressure canner, but you may have to look under alternate names. So there are two Ellie Topp pasta sauce recipes provided on this forum and there are also seasoned tomato sauces of various types in resources like the Ball Blue Book.

The other option is to make a big batch of spaghetti sauce to your family's taste and freeze it instead of just the tomatoes. It might not take any more space and would be much more convenient.

Carol

Bookmark   July 14, 2012 at 11:03PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

There are also spaghetti sauces without meat that require pressure canning because they are made from a mixture of low-acid vegetables - tomatoes, onions, peppers, garlic, mushrooms, etc. So it isn't just the meat that is an issue.

The answer to your question depends on exactly what you mean by "spaghetti sauce" (it means different things to different people) and the recipe used.

Dave

Bookmark   July 15, 2012 at 9:12AM
More Discussions
*&%$#@!!! Marmalade!
After the "Key Lime Rubber Marmalade" and...
gardengrl
what i put up 2015
Looks like it's time to start this thread again, so...
misskimmie
Where did all my saved pages go?
Are they all gone or just hidden? Gee I leave for a...
ahbee01
Canning Bacon ?
I just watched a video on another forum of someone...
scunningham
Making Garlic or Herb Infused Oils at Home
Now that I figured out the new format, I can post this...
malna
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™