Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady LakeAugust 20, 2013

I was just out watering my beds, not something I normally do, but the rain lately has been scarce and at most very light. On the front side of my house, my faucet is behind 3 ft of garden bed. Not a huge issue as far as reach goes, I can easily reach over the bed to the faucet. The problem lies with the hose. As I move from bed to bed, the hose, which is just long enough to hit all my front beds, kind of gets dragged through this bed. For the most part I try to pay attention to what I'm doing so I don't damage the plants, but sometimes a reflexive tug pulls the hose through the bed. Oops. So far I haven't done any major damage though. Knock on wood.

But as I was wrapping things up today and heading back inside, an image came to my mind. A pivoting 3 ft bar/tube that would sway over the plants, much like how the hoses spin around your car at those spray-it-yourself car washes. I'm going through the net trying to find options, even if there are pivoting PVC connectors where I can jury-rig my own arm, but I wanted to throw it out to ya'll to see if anyone has seen an apparatus like this before? To make sure the idea is clear. A tubular bar that you screw onto your spigot that will then angle out a short distance and gives you another connector for attaching your hose... hmm... now that I think on it more, that might put a bit of stress on the spigot if your system is all PVC, like mine. But Wall Mounted spigots should be able to hand it. Anyone seen anything like this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake

Never mind. In the world of pipe fittings, it's called a Swing Arm and there are plenty of options on the market.

    Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 12:18PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I have a hose extender. The extender has a faucet which I attach my hose to. It extends about 3 ft from the real faucet. It is mounted to a wood board. I think they sell them in HD.

Don't think that's what you're talking about but it saves my bed and bushes.


    Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 9:14PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I use those little gadgets that have a roller mounted on a stake. The roller catches the hose and prevents it from being dragged into the foliage.

    Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 9:53AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
love_the_yard(z9A Jax FL)

Tradition, are you talking about a hose guide? I have wrought iron ones and you are right, they work well.

    Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 10:38AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake

Yeah, I've used and still use hose guides, though of my own making, but they wouldn't really be an answer to this situation. As I said this hose is only just long enough. Any length that is caught up by a hose guide is length taken away from reaching the furthest bed... which once it's established won't have to be watered ever again (fairly xeric). A simpler answer might be to just get a longer hose. Which I may do. I should measure the one I have and see if I can find one that is just 5 ft longer. For the small area on this side of my house, I really do not need a super long hose. And hopefully this time next year I won't even have to do much supplemental watering as the beds on this side are mostly drought tolerant with the glaring exception of the rose bed.

    Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 8:52PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Attach another length of hose on to the one you already have and then you have plenty of space.

    Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 9:52PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Any Plant Sales?
I live in the Holiday Florida area and I went to a...
So, what can you tell me about Dlonix regia?
Heh, another miserably cold day here, it's really getting...
Miami/CoralGables ... 10b meet
Good morning everyone, I just saw Silvia//Oakland/9b...
So, What Do YOU Do About Coons And Possums?
I just sent three of them to that big veggie garden...
Shrub border.
Hi any suggestions for a shrub next to a fence between...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™