canning pineapple bbq sauce

ikea_gwJuly 29, 2011

I have a recipe for pineapple bbq sauce that I'd like to can. It is basically the sauce on http://www.bbqu.net/season1/102.html but I use habanero instead. :-)

How should I go about canning these? I am new to canning so any advice will be welcome!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
readinglady(z8 OR)

I'm sorry, but that recipe is not designed for canning.

Secondarily, assuming you use canned pineapple juice (the usual choice), most of the BBQ sauce is just mixing together already bottled products - i.e. the juice, ketchup, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce. Why bother canning something so simple?

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Pineapple BBQ Sauce

Bookmark   July 30, 2011 at 1:43AM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Carol is correct - as always. That is a fresh-use-only recipe and not a canning recipe. Like regular cooking recipes, most fresh-use recipes cannot be safely canned for shelf storage. They have never been tested for proper pH and density for canning. Recipes that are approved for canning will always include the instructions for doing it, processing times, jar size, etc.

If you feel you must make it ahead of time for storage you could freeze it although I think it would keep well in the fridge for several weeks.

Dave

Bookmark   July 30, 2011 at 10:00AM
ikea_gw

Carol, the link you posted is the same as the one I posted. Is that a mistake?

Bookmark   July 30, 2011 at 1:52PM

No she was just making it a clickable link so the rest of us could check it out too. Much easier than having to copy, open another window, and paste.

Dave

Bookmark   July 30, 2011 at 2:51PM
ikea_gw

Thanks Dave.

I wanted to can some bbq sauce because I don't always have time to make the sauce. I thought it would be nice to be able to have some ready for use at all times.

So what makes a recipe suitable/not suitable for canning?

Bookmark   August 1, 2011 at 6:06PM
Linda_Lou(SW Wa.)

One that comes from a reliable source, designed for canning. Not a cooking recipe. They are not at all the same. Try the Ball Blue book or the Univ. of Georgia website. They are safety tested recipes.
Otherwise, freeze the sauces instead.

Bookmark   August 1, 2011 at 6:22PM

There are many approved (as in tested for safety) BBQ sauce recipes. As Linda Lou said try any of the canning cookbooks or NCHFP - linked below - or the Ball website, or homepreserving.com for starters.

If you use one of the approved recipes for canning then you can always add the pineapple juice and bits at food prep time. And in some cases, since the pineapple juice is so acidic you can sub some of it for the other liquids called for in the recipe.

What makes a cooking recipe unsafe for canning is that you cannot know the pH or the density of it so you can't determine a method of processing or a time for processing. Safe canning recipes always include that information.

Recipes that include all sorts of low-acid foods like onions, garlic, peppers, fresh herbs, etc. require sufficient acid to be added to make them safe for shelf storage in an anaerobic environment. Note how much more vinegar is called for in the NCHFP Bar B Q Sauce recipe than in the one you linked.

Ball also has a good recipe for Bar B Q Sauce that calls for 1/3 c lemon juice and you could easily use pineapple juice instead.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP

Bookmark   August 1, 2011 at 6:59PM
Linda_Lou(SW Wa.)

The lemon juice is probably for safety and should not be exchanged with pineapple juice until the recipe is checked out.

Bookmark   August 1, 2011 at 7:34PM

Sorry I posted the wrong link to the Ball recipe. The lemon juice is in addition to all the vinegar in the recipe Linda Lou. pH of pineapple juice is listed at 3.3. Not as acidic as lemon at 2.6 true, but still quite acidic. You could easily increase the amount of the pineapple juice too to make the mixture even more acidic.

But like I said, just my opinion.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Ball Bar B Q Sauce

Bookmark   August 1, 2011 at 8:26PM
Linda_Lou(SW Wa.)

That is really quite a difference in ph. Each number is 10 times different in acidity.
I would check the fruit salsas on the NCHFP and compare the fruit to the acidity of pineapple. For example, the mango salsa or the peach apple one.
I have no time to figure it out tonight.

Bookmark   August 2, 2011 at 12:02AM
zabby17(z5/6 Ontario)

ikea gw,

You could make a big batch of your BBQ sauce and freeze it in containers to defrost when you want it.

Z

Bookmark   August 2, 2011 at 1:08PM
readinglady(z8 OR)

To add to the previous comments, it's not that your recipe is unsafe, it's that it's unknown. It might be fine to process and it might not. As it's untested, we have no way of determining the answer.

It's a question of whether the higher-acid pineapple juice, cider vinegar and ketchup are sufficient to compensate for the low-acid jalapenos, ginger, cilantro, Worcestershire (which contains anchovies), and soy sauce.

Carol

Bookmark   August 2, 2011 at 6:21PM
More Discussions
First time pressure canning
I am embarrassed to admit I have never pressure canned....
luvncannin
Citric acid - powder or crystal form
I have been making simple jams for years but have been...
psittacine
Cranberry Vinegar
Every few years I make a batch of cranberry vinegar...
CA Kate
Is GMO corn cobs safe for corn cob jelly?
This is the time around here that the farmers are picking...
myfamilysfarm
Who uses the foodsaver?
I haven't canned in several years. I've been gardening...
nancyjane_gardener
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™