Hosta Z 2012

ilovetogrow z9 Jax FloridaFebruary 13, 2013

I'm not really a career person. I'm a gardener, basically.
- by George Harrison

I saved the best for last:

hot cross buns .. sleeping in an ice hotel .. usually end up cold cross buns ... and i mean really cross ...
~submitted and authored by ken 2013

I wish to thank everyone for playing along. I had a great time doing this and learned a lot about different hostas. My wish list is long and heavy. The photography was so superb. Many of us could be professionals. Well thank you all again I had a blast. Look for me the day after Christmas, December 26, and have the photos ready as we will do this again. Paula

Zing me with your Zs!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plantbug

H Zager's White Edge

H Zebson

H Zounds

Bookmark   February 13, 2013 at 6:22AM
squirejohn zone4 VT

Zippty Do Dah

Bookmark   February 13, 2013 at 7:21AM
Steve Massachusetts Zone 5b

Zounds, about ready to bloom in June.

Steve

Bookmark   February 13, 2013 at 7:27AM
hostanista

Paula - just wanted to say thanks for setting up the A to Z hosta posts. It was fun to check out the entries every couple of days and get a good look at all the various specimens - even those less than perfect ones with insect damage, hail damage, and newly planted babies. No one's hostas are perfect all the time like in the catalogues! And you're right about the pictures. Not only does this forum have some great gardeners but pretty darn good photographers as well! I really enjoyed this whole series, thanks again.

Bookmark   February 13, 2013 at 9:44AM
hostafreak

This is my Zounds from a few years ago,but it is one of the better pics of it. I got this in a trade from a former forum member,back in 2005. It is bigger than this now,but you get the picture. Phil

Bookmark   February 13, 2013 at 9:56AM
jan_on zone 5b

I'll echo... thanks Paula....this has been a great respite from winter, and a bright spot in my winter mornings. Next year I'll hope to have contributions for the Q, X, Y, and Z that my collection lacks! And this is the leap year for many of mine, and I'm inspired by all the good photographers here, so now I'm really anxious for spring.
Jan

Bookmark   February 13, 2013 at 10:26AM
almosthooked

Paula .. thank you for doing this from start to finish. It has been fun and thanks to you all of our wish list grew from all the beautiful pictures that have been posted. I will be taking many more pictures this year and take lots from when they poke their tiny noses out of the ground to the hangers on in the frost. of fall
Faye
My first year Zounds with new growth July 23. Not super pretty yet but growing and living

Bookmark   February 13, 2013 at 11:13AM
dgregory_so.cntrl.IL_zone6a

Thanks Paula for doing the hosta alphabet! All the photos with companion plantings have inspired me ;-)

Like Jan and the others have said, I looked forward to following the posts and contributing my small part. Alas, I have no hosta Z or photos to share.
Zzzzz,
Deb

Bookmark   February 13, 2013 at 12:09PM
mctavish6

It's been fun. I always appreciate the new and old plants in the alpha threads.

This is the twisty sport of Orange Marmalade. It's been called various names but I called my Zap because it looked like it had been struck by lightening.

Bookmark   February 13, 2013 at 1:31PM
irawon(5a Ottawa)

Paula, thanks for helping my LIKE list grow and everyone else for posting their pictures and answering my questions. Everyone's answers will help me in relocating some of my hostas for better growing conditions. I liked the repetition of the same cultivar (young and mature) by all the posters; that helped me become more familiar with plants I don't have. The alphabet thread also helped me identify areas of my hosta beds where I could add more hostas. I'm looking forward to seeing how everyone's hostas are doing next year. As I've been googling hostas that interest me, I couldn't help but notice the number of alphabet threads that showed up from past years.. so thanks also to those folks for coming up with the original idea.

This post was edited by irawon on Fri, Feb 15, 13 at 10:56

Bookmark   February 15, 2013 at 10:47AM
irawon(5a Ottawa)

I have Zounds but no pics. The beautiful pictures posted by others have inspired me to take more pictures next growing season and to improve my photography skills and recordkeeping.

Paula, your 2012 liners look very healthy. Your hosta cat appears happy in their company.

Plantbug, your handsome Zebson has beautiful hostas for companions. Could you please identify them for me, especially the blues. Lovely landscape picture with the pink flowering shrub.

Almosthooked, that's incredible growth on your Zounds.

Mctavish, I like your Zap. What is your small-leaved, variegated hosta beside your Zounds. I like the combination.

This post was edited by irawon on Fri, Feb 15, 13 at 11:27

Bookmark   February 15, 2013 at 11:12AM
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida

Thank you all for your kind words. It was easy and a fun way for us/me to learn. I am thinking up a few thing for other times up coming for fun so keep your cameras on the ready. Thank YOU again YOU made the alphabet work. Paula

Bookmark   February 15, 2013 at 4:54PM
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

Wait a minute wait a minute....don't close the door yet....I'm sure my white clog is somewhere in that door.

In fact, we might just feature a thread of GARDEN SHOES.....we are all FASHIONISTAS here on the most fashionable of flower forums, right?

Yaaaaaa, yer mama wears army boots!!! Remember that old insult? Nowadays, there is more truth to that than fiction.

Okay, but I digress. Sorry. Thanks so much Paula. It's been a real nice way to get through the winter.

Zippity Doo Dah

Zounds

Zuzu's Petals...the OS comes from Savory's and the other one comes from Avalon Acres. I like to see the difference in OS and other stock coming from elsewhere.

Happy happy shall I be/
When I learn my A-B-Cs!
.....Parting is such sweet sorrow.

Bookmark   February 15, 2013 at 11:43PM
newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada

I thank you too Paula. It was a lot of fun viewing the photos and comments. I am looking forward to taking more photos this season.

Bookmark   February 16, 2013 at 12:03AM
sandyslopes z5 n. UT

No Z's at the moment. ....Another thanks to Paula / ilovetogrow for taking on the hosta alphabet and keeping it going so reliably. I liked seeing the same hostas at different stages of maturity and in different settings. It was fun to see everyone's pictures.

Bookmark   February 16, 2013 at 2:31AM

I still have my Army Boots! My son played in them. And my Dress Greens stilll fit (tightly). I love that insult. Paula

Bookmark   February 16, 2013 at 2:34AM
mctavish6

irawon, that hosta is Golden Tiara. This spot is in very hot afternoon sun.

Bookmark   February 16, 2013 at 11:02AM
plantbug

irawon, Thank you for the kind words on Ms Zebson with her blue companions and the beautiful blooming azaleas. I had to re-do that area because of a tree being removed and I can not remember who the blues are!!! Sorry!

Paula, thanks for all the fun!

Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 9:12PM
garden_crazy(z5 N IL)

Here is Zounds. Also have Zippity Do Da, Zager's White Edge and LS Zinger but am not so computer literate and don't know how to post more than one pic......I'll work on it.........sometime.....
GC

Bookmark   February 20, 2013 at 5:58PM
More Discussions
info on spam
anyone know where to find the rules for spam are in...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
Wave Runner
Does anyone have Wave Runner? There aren't too many...
bkay2000
If you were to recommend only one hosta it would be........
If you could suggest only one hosta to others as a...
santamiller
What have we ordered?
So far I have gotten a few new ones. What have you...
Seedling pics?
Decided to grow some seedlings this winter. Have to...
BungalowMonkeys
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™