Restoring shell driveway?

echobellyAugust 14, 2012

I know this forum is about getting things to grow, but I've realized half of gardening is getting some things to stop growing! I bought a house a few years ago that has a long shell driveway leading to a guesthouse on the back of the property. It's completely choked with weeds and grass now, some of it looks healthier that parts of the lawn. I'm tired of having to mow it. What's the best way to get rid of the weeds and restore the shells? I've tried raking out all the weeds in a section, it looked good for about a week, till all the weed seeds I mixed in sprouted. It now looks like I've been fertilizing that area. I know I could spray it with roundup, but it's a couple hundred feet long, and I'd still have to pull out the dead weeds. Topping it off with more shell is out of the question, as it is already level with the guest house and causing drainage issues. I don't know if there's a simple solution to this, but I figured you people would know if there is!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bamboo_rabbit(9A Inverness FL)

You could salt it.....it will kill what is there and won't let anything resprout for quite some time. salt in a yard fertilizer should work.

Bookmark   August 14, 2012 at 2:53PM
chinchette(9b)

And then how about using a pre-emergent on it so that new seeds don't sprout?

Bookmark   August 14, 2012 at 9:21PM
echobelly

Salting it sounds like a good idea, but there are a dozen Queen palms lining the drive. I'd be worried the salt might not be good for them as it leaches into the surrounding soil.

Bookmark   August 15, 2012 at 9:40AM

Echo,

You are in luck as Queen palms are moderately salt tolerant. While it may sting those roots that are under the driveway most of the roots won't be where the salt is.

For what you want to accomplish and with the guidelines you set you have very limited options. If it was me I would salt it...if that is something you don't want to do than hire a day laborer or a HS kid to remove the dead stuff after the roundup has done it's thing. You will just have to reapply the round up now and then but the weed problem will diminish over time.

Bookmark   August 15, 2012 at 11:54AM
shuffles_gw

If you decide on the Roundup route, you might try Tractor Supply. They have generic glyphospate 41% solution - 2.5 gallons for $50.

Bookmark   August 15, 2012 at 1:33PM
echobelly

@bamboo rabbit: Thanks for the info about Queen Palms. But one more question, being from New England, I know salt is bad for dog's feet, and I have two large dogs that do walk up and down the drive (squirrels hang out in those Queen Palms). I wouldn't want to put out anything that would burn my dog's pads. Is there a particular salt I should use?

Bookmark   August 15, 2012 at 1:55PM

Echo,

Not to sound flip lol but salt is salt. The only difference is purity and size of the particles. I would use cattle salt from a feed store as it will drop out of a spreader and will be cheaper than using something like solar salt. you don't need to put it on so thick that the dogs are walking on solid salt. You want the salt to drop between the shells and get to the roots. We have a brick walkway and I salt it every year so nothing will grow in the cracks. Your project though sounds much bigger:)

As shuffles said if you go chemical go generic on the roundup as it is all the same chemical..I just always refer to the stuff as roundup. Adding ammounium sulphate to the roundup will make it work even better.

Bookmark   August 15, 2012 at 4:36PM
More Discussions
TR Hovey dwarf papaya plants
This year I branched out and grew two varieties of...
happy_fl_gardener
A mystery plant... Any ideas?
Rescued this plant from a friends house. It's in pretty...
soleil_blume_hooke
Miami/CoralGables ... 10b meet
Good morning everyone, I just saw Silvia//Oakland/9b...
alexcortez
I'm in NJ, my plants are in Florida..
...should I call my friend who's using my house right...
maja127
Where can I get Ceropegia woodii?
Hello folks, This new format will take some getting...
flowerladylorraine
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™