are schefflera invasive?

chinchette(9b)August 18, 2012

I have this type of scheffera. Should I worry about it?

I am thinking I should get rid of it...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zzackey(8b GA)

That's dwarf shefflera. I always grew them in pots. I can't imagine them being invasive. Please ask your local agricultural agent about this.

Bookmark   August 18, 2012 at 5:08PM
katkin_gw

In South Fl the large shefflera is on the invasive list. Does the dwarf one make the same flower? If so I would think it is, as the wind blows the seeds all over, as well as birds carrying them off too. :o)

Bookmark   August 18, 2012 at 7:04PM
katkin_gw

I'd like to see what others think.

Bookmark   August 20, 2012 at 6:42AM
babalu_aye(zone 9b - St Pete FL)

I recently removed several of these that I had planted over 10 years ago. They required frequent pruning, but I wouldn't call them invasive. I've never seen any new ones that came up from seed around here.

John

Bookmark   August 20, 2012 at 5:49PM
linda_leaf z10fla(10A Florida)

I have a variegated form that I prune a couple of times a year. They have been in the ground for 16 years and I have had no problems with them spreading at all. They are pretty neat looking in my opinion.
Linda Leaf

Bookmark   August 21, 2012 at 5:48AM
katkin_gw

It's not that they spread by the roots, when they flower the wind blows the seeds, so you might not ever see a new plant. But 4 blocks away a new one is growing. If you keep them pruned and don't allow it to flower it shouldn't be a problem, but they are listed as class one invasive in S Fl. :o)

Bookmark   August 21, 2012 at 6:33AM
leahrenee1(z9FL)

ha, oddly enough I had a seedling in one of my pots the other day, I was hoping it was from the plant already growing but it wasn't, it was a schefflera. I haven't removed it yet but I have no idea where it came from, I have a small one on the other side of the house but I keep it severely pruned.

Bookmark   August 24, 2012 at 9:55AM
chinchette(9b)

I guess I was wondering if it was going to spread too much from limbs hitting the ground and rooting, and if the roots were going to do bad things. I think my neighbor had the growing habits mixed up with the non-dwarf type.

I will keep it pruned.

Bookmark   August 25, 2012 at 10:35PM
chinchette(9b)

I take it back. I think it IS invasive. I just looked at mine carefully. I see that it has a habit of spreading roots out from the base, and lower branches that have roots coming out of them that hit the ground. Then a new bush is created there. It did take about 6 years for this to happen, but I think that it is going to spread faster, now that it is established. The root system seems to laterally spread. I now wish I had not planted it. Actually, I never "planted it". I was one of those things that I brought home and left in the pot. Never got around to planting it and it rooted anyway. The plastic pot is still at the base of the bush. The variegated ones behave a lot better.

Bookmark   August 26, 2012 at 12:57PM
jofus(9b/10a Englewood, Fl)

I am familiar with these trees from the 14 years I lived in the Keys. They are invasive, have heard of foundation slabs cracking or lifting up from the roots of one growing too close. If I had one growing within 20 feet of my home I'd dig it up.
They make beautiful privacy and wind screens if planted together in a row,...but only if they are away from any home foundations.

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 12:56PM
cocoabeachlorax

Just wanted to add to second everything jofus said (well except for the keys bit, envious I am though) and that they do not belong near in ground pools either.

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 1:45PM
deannac(9b/S26/H10/Oviedo)

I'm in zone 9b and have schefflera growing about 3' away from the house. They're an accident, but turned out lovely. I purchased a few small plants for one planter, but as they grew, they got moved into the yard. My schefflera isn't verigated, and was supposed to be a dwarf...HA! I keep them pruned into a hedge but leave long branches growing up the sides of the porch...sounds bizarre, looks fantastic. Mine have never bloomed, but then again, I'm a heavy pruner!

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 7:48PM
More Discussions
Central Florida garden sites?
Hey all, I'm posting the lessons I learn on my central...
Dunning
Mystery tree
Has small silvery/gray leaves, almost furry looking......
roselady35
Another coffee question
My friend gave me a box full of expired Duncan Donuts...
Debo214
New small bed
Hello. New here, not to gardening but new to landscaping....
Biinaboo, Zone 10, Naples, Gulf Coast
Landscaping shady 2' square area at front entry
I live in zone 9 and need help landscaping a very shady...
Desirae Kristen
Sponsored Products
Navy Carlyle Curtain Panel - Set of Two
$14.99 | zulily
Lexington Home Brands Orland Chairside Table - 01-0706-955
$849.00 | Hayneedle
Red Cedar 27" Wide 4' Picnic Table with (2) 4' Backed Benches
Fifthroom.com
NuFace Trinity ELE Attachment
$149.00 | FRONTGATE
Positive Thinking Baskets - Set of 2
| Dot & Bo