Peach chutney - bad proportions?

kristadarinAugust 31, 2011

Hi all,

I have returned to canning and have been canning like mad, which I think explains why I was so crazy. I spotted this recipe and made and canned it without even cluing into the fact that it is not a canning recipe. I think what I need to do is stick all of my chutney in the freezer. Is that right? Should I take them out of their jars? (They were processed for 15 minutes in a hot water bath.)

This is the recipe:

1/2 cup cider vinegar

1/2 cup loosely packed brown sugar

1/2 cup white sugar

1 large sweet red pepper, seeded, diced 1/4 inch, about 1/2 cup

1 small white onion, peeled and diced, about 1/2 cup

1 small jalape�o pepper, seeded and diced, 2 tablespoons

1/3 cup white raisins

1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic

1 tablespoon grated ginger

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 pounds firm, fresh peaches, blanched to remove the skin, pit removed, sliced into wedges

I think it was much too low on vinegar...

Thank you all for your help in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mellyofthesouth(9a FL)

Before anyone fusses at me, yes I know you are only supposed to use approved recipes. However in this case I'll compare the recipe to know quantities and use my judgment. I think there is enough vinegar for the amount of low acid ingredients esp since peaches are acidic.

You have about 1 1/4 cups low acid ingredients and 1/2 cup vinegar (2.5 to 1). Compare that to the surejell hot pepper jelly recipe that has 4 cups low acid ingredients and 1 cup vinegar (4 to 1).

http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/surejell-hot-pepper-jelly-51962.aspx

These are the proportions from Caribbean Peach Chutney in the Ball Complete Book. For our purposes I will estimate low based on their guide and say 3/4 cup per onion and bell pepper. So the ginger, onion and bell pepper together would be 4 cups plus the banana pepper to 1 cup vinegar (also 4 to 1). Of course you have the addition of the candied citrus peel which is also a low acid ingredient.

1 cup peeled, chopped gingerroot
1 cup malt vinegar
10 cups chopped, pitted, peeled peaches (Their guide says 1 lb peaches should yield about 2 1/4 cups sliced peaches or 1 3/4 cups crushed)
2 cup lightly packed brown sugar
2 onions, finely chopped
2 green bell peppers, seeded and finely chopped
1 hot banana peppers, seeded and finely chopped
1 cup dark raisins
1 cup golden raisins
1 cup mixed candied peel* (of your choice)
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cloves

Here is an approved recipe with mangoes which are less acidic than peaches (although maybe similar if underripe?) The proportions are very similar.

Personally, I would leave it alone. But if you have anyone in your family with a compromised immune system or you have a low comfort level with these things, by all means, freeze it.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_06/mango_chutney.html

Bookmark   August 31, 2011 at 4:49PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

I don't disagree with Melly at all but I do agree with you that it is just a little low on acid for me to comfortably can it. The garlic worries me most. Plus it is malt vinegar and I'd double check the acidity rating on that.

If I were to make it for canning I'd replace about 1/2 the vinegar with lime juice - good flavor addition and more acidic. Plus I'd leave out the candied peels just because I hate 'em. :)

Otherwise freeze it and if you do leave a good 1-1 1/2" headspace in the jars and the lids on loosely till frozen or put it in plastic freezer containers.

JMO

Dave

Bookmark   August 31, 2011 at 5:57PM
readinglady(z8 OR)

Do you mean that the chopped citrus peel is a low pH (aka high-acid) ingredient? The pH I've found for mixed candied orange and lemon peel (organic) is 3.6-4.2. If you check the ingredient list, the commercial peel I know of has added citric acid to stabilize the pH. So while there might be potentially an issue with other ingredients, the peel shouldn't be a problem.

Chutneys are generally long-cooked, so if you cooked the low-acid ingredients in the half cup of vinegar first to thoroughly acidify the onion and pepper then stirred in the peaches in a second step, I doubt there's much of a problem with it.

The other method would be to increase the vinegar and cook it down. That is a lot of product and depending upon the peaches could be somewhat dry.

Just my take on it.

Carol

Bookmark   August 31, 2011 at 6:50PM
kristadarin

Thank you all. Being paranoid (and not knowing the finer details), I decided to freeze it.

This is the second time I have been this silly, and I vow never to let it happen again.

Once more, I would like to express my sincere gratitude to all of the helpful people on this board. I am mostly just a lurker, but I just want you to know that you have a serious fan-girl out there somewhere...

Bookmark   September 1, 2011 at 7:47AM
More Discussions
First time pressure canning
I am embarrassed to admit I have never pressure canned....
luvncannin
Is my turkey stock too thick to can?
I made stock two nights ago, last night I went to skim...
SaraBeth Williams
preserving venison
I have questions for those of you that harvest and...
KSprairie
Thanks Harvest Forum
I didn't grow up canning and learned relatively late....
gardengalrn6
Jerusalem artichokes
Hi, I harvested my Jerusalem artichokes and brushed...
jokuehn
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™