Strange Email Supposedly from Singing Oakes

diytryingAugust 26, 2014

I've only placed one order with them but was very happy with what I received. The plants were big and healthy and bloomed prolifically. Was sad to hear about Jim's death. Had just sent them a thank you email about 2 weeks before.
A few days ago I received email with the heading Jim Jeffcoat with a story about a sick cousin in the Ukraine. Asked for a large sum of money. The reply address looked like singingoakesgd but ended in outlook.com. Also looked like it was written by a person who worked very hard to translate it to English. I sent email to singingoakesgd about it. Hate to think my email is now in those kind of hands.
Anybody else get anything like this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nat4b(4)

I didn't. I read about this scam on ATP.

Bookmark   August 26, 2014 at 9:44PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Brad KY(6b)

What usually happens: someone hacks someone's address book [Singing Oakes in this case] and sends an email with a phony story to get money. Mark it as spam and delete it; never reply to these. You should also run a scan on your computer now since you opened the email, in case there was something malicious attached. Run either Superantispyware or Malwarebytes Anti Malware. [you can safely download them from Majorgeeks.com.
I repair and fix computers and see stuff like this all the time.
Brad

Bookmark   August 27, 2014 at 11:46AM
More Discussions
24/7 daylilies in year 2
I tried the following varieties. Key Largo Moon Kokomo...
Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
Who's still on the forum?
Uneasy making. Is this still going to work for comments...
organic_kitten
Those wonderful "W" daylilies, let's see them!
We would like to see all of the wonderfyl W dsylilies!...
sherrygirl zone5
Jean
I'm afraid Jean is discouraged. Hope she won't quit...
organic_kitten
Just heard from Jean
Changing from the old Gardenweb to Houzz and the signing...
organic_kitten
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™