Tell me about Mango Tango and Stitch in Time

hostahostaFebruary 14, 2013

I've been looking at my books, mags, and online and dreaming of spring. Mango Tango and the reverse Stitch in Time have caught my eye. What can you tell me about them? Pics would be great.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hostamanphil

Hi hostahosta. I have both of the plants and only recommend Mango Tango.I have had it in my garden for a few years and looks good and grows well.
Mango Tango is a sport of Dance With Me. Stitch in Time is a sport of Summer Breeze.
Stitch in Time is expensive and tends to grow smaller rather than larger.It is a collector's plant and can be finicky.I have heard more failure stories on it rather than success stories. So if you want to try it do not have high expectations.
Here is a pic of Mango Tango.Probably the 2nd year in my garden. Hope this helps. Phil

Bookmark   February 14, 2013 at 11:26AM
Babka NorCal 9b

My Mango Tango (purchased in 2011 with 2 eyes) came up in 2012 with 4 eyes. Good grower.

Stitch in Time, arrived in 2008, with two divisions. One division un-stitched itself, going to all gold, and then dying. The other is trying very hard. Still only one eye but getting larger. Finicky.

-Babka

Bookmark   February 14, 2013 at 1:47PM
mctavish6

My experience is the same. Stitch in Time dwindled and disappeared. Mango Tango is holding on but my 3 year old plant is about half the size of Phils.

Bookmark   February 14, 2013 at 2:09PM
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

I only have Stitch In Time, came late last year. I think I learned my lesson on that one. It started small and became smaller. If it comes up this year, fine.....if not, it will not be replaced. I could have saved my money for a few different fragrant hosta, to arrive big and happy to be in a warm climate!

Life is too short to coddle a reluctant hosta....no matter how pretty or how much potential it has.

Bookmark   February 15, 2013 at 10:47PM
hostared(Z5, IL)

Stick with Mango Tango. Stitch in time was a waste. Most expensive hosta I purchased and will never do that again. A dud!

Bookmark   February 20, 2013 at 3:53PM
More Discussions
Hd are you kidding?
I just got an email from Home Depot pushing hosta plants...
Jon 6a SE MA
When could I remove the covers from the 2 ceramic pots of mini hostas?
The in-ground hostas are still very much in dormancy....
Esther-B, Zone 7b
Hi, guys!
I’ve been reading the hosta forum for a couple of...
jajoana
mulch around hostas. leaves, etc.
I have always read that you need to clean up the hostas...
steelskies
Got pips?
I have been telling my hostas that there is no hurry...
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
Sponsored Products
Tango LED Suspension
Lightology
Tango Flower Pot
Lightology
Tango Perfect Sit & Sleep Pocketed Coil Pillow Top Sofa Full or Queen-size Sleep
Overstock.com
Tango Red Round Place Mat & Napkin Set
$32.99 | zulily
Allied Brass Mirrors Tango Collection 22 in. x 22 in. Frameless Round Single
Home Depot
Rizzy Rugs Tango TA-0398 Block Hand Knotted Tibetan Weave Area Rug - TA-0398-2X3
$90.00 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™