Nurseries in the Homestead area

SanteFeAugust 26, 2013

My son is purchasing a home in Homestead, Fl. I need some advice where to purchase perennials, shrubs and trees at the best nursery not the box stores.I am also looking for a landscape designer for small Florida yards who are reasonable.

Thanks,
SanteFe

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b

I do not live there but have been there. Homestead is nursery heaven. I can't give names, but there is an area known as the Redlands. Go there. BTW there is an excellent source for orchids there. R.F.Orchids. Besides what you would expect, it is a destination on its own. And way down in Homestead you can grow the tropical things that are found in the Caribbean, that will not 100 miles north. Homestead, a great place for gardeners.

Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 3:37PM
jofus(9b/10a Englewood, Fl)

I discovered Ray's Nursery on the northern end of Krome Ave 13 years ago when I lived in Islamorada in the Upper Keys. Actually had it recommended to me by another nursery that was going out of business just a few miles further south. I now live on the SW coast and have run into a couple of nurseries here that are supplied by Ray's. Have never been disappointed by their inventory or prices, - even drove the 3 hours one way when I initially planted my many fruit trees after moving here in 2009.
A huge selection of fruit trees, shrubs and other ornamental items on over ten acres, run by a knowledgeable & friendly Cuban lady.
The official address is ;
Rays Nursery of Miami .18905 SW 177th Ave, Miami, FL 33187 , (305) 255-3589.
Good luck !

This post was edited by jofus on Mon, Sep 9, 13 at 22:32

Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 9:17PM
petrushka

Richard Lyons Nursery has a big selection - 10 acres:
http://rarefloweringtrees.com/
Plant Creations has mostly Florida natives:
http://www.plantcreations.com/index.html
pine island nursery has fruit trees:
http://www.tropicalfruitnursery.com/
http://redlandnursery.com/ - it's nursery conglomerate, they offer landscaping, design, install, maintenance,etc.
there is a big community of tropical plant growers/orchid growers,etc meeting regularly too around Redlands.

Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 3:00PM
natives_and_veggies(10b)

I can't say enough good things about Pine Island Nursery if he wants fruit trees. The folks there are great helping you decide what will work in your conditions, have absolutely everything that will grow and fruit here, and will even help with follow-up if you have a problem.
When I went, to repopulate my yard after a particularly destructive storm, the thing I found really awesome was how they discouraged me from getting things I thought might be nice, but would not have worked well for my conditions.
They could have sold me trees that were "difficult" at best, and it would have been a mess for me but a profit for them. Instead, they steered me to what I would be happiest with.
And... not sure if he's due for a birthday or anniversary present, but they were great when my dad called and said "my daughter is going to come down there and needs some small trees. I want to give you a credit card number for her." They don't have a formal gift certificate system set up, but they processed that no problem.
A year later, everything we stuffed in the hatchback is thriving except the fig - and they warned me figs have bug problems, but can often survive them.
He can get small citrus from the big boxes and they'll probably be fine. But he can get much more interesting things from Pine Island.

Bookmark   September 21, 2013 at 5:22PM
More Discussions
Bouganvilla come back from roots after freeze?
Does bouganvilla ever come back from the roots after...
love_the_yard
Jacksonville/Middleburg Bamboo?
Where can I see a serious bamboo farm so I can decide...
abracapocus
Cypress Vine - will I regret it?
I bought some seeds today, gonna see if I can get things...
SweetMonkeyCheese Z9 Tampa
Landscaping shady 2' square area at front entry
I live in zone 9 and need help landscaping a very shady...
Desirae Kristen
Legal issues with using trademarked materials for breeding projects?
I don't really see a 'legal' or 'law' forum on here....
xentar_gw
Sponsored Products
Patio Living Concepts Outdoor Lighting. Bahama Weave 60 in. Red Castango Thin We
Home Depot
WAC Modern Forms | Vela OLED Wall Light
YLighting
Home Decorators Area Rug: Acanthus Blue/White 2' x 3'
$55.00 | Home Depot
Dottie´┐Ż Rectangular: 5 Ft. 4 In. x 7 Ft. 8 In. Kid Essentials - Teen Area Rug
$255.95 | Bellacor
Dark Forest Rug 10' x 14' - PEWTER
$3,899.00 | Horchow
Safavieh Hand-woven Serenity Marble/ Grey Sisal Rug (2' 6 x 22')
Overstock.com
Nori Waffle Weave Towel in Brown
$17.99 | Dot & Bo
Graphite Carriage Wool Rug
$34.99 | zulily
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™