Hot Pepper, Olive, Carrot? Relish Recipe

jschmoAugust 11, 2011

I'm new to the forum, so I'm posting hopefully! :) A friend's aunt has a secret recipe for some amazing relish that I'd love to make...but it's a SECRET! I know it has hot peppers in it, green olives, and I believe some carrot. It's chopped pretty small...Anyone have any recipes that might be similar?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Linda_Lou(SW Wa.)

Not other than a specially designed safe recipe for antipasto.
Otherwise what you are describing is unsafe for canning.

Bookmark   August 11, 2011 at 2:35PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

I agree that you wouldn't be able to can this. Not sure what freezing might do to the quality but it would be safe.

But for fresh use, if I Google 'pepper olive relish' all sorts of recipes come up. Some with mustard, some with mayo, some with various blends of herbs, sweet or hot peppers, shredded carrots to add some sweetness, even onions can be added. Many recipes are available to experiment with to get the taste you want.

Dave

Bookmark   August 11, 2011 at 3:16PM
readinglady(z8 OR)

You didn't indicate whether this was a fresh (i.e. refrigerated) or canned recipe, but I'm assuming not canned because of the green olives.

Regardless, it helps to have more information. Taste, size of pieces, consistency, proportions of ingredients, anything you remember. It sounds a bit like muffuletta relish for those New Orleans sandwiches, but without more details I can't be sure.

Carol

Bookmark   August 11, 2011 at 3:18PM
readinglady(z8 OR)

To add what Dave mentioned, I've seen a lot of recipes for Hot Giardiniera (for which safe canning recipes can be found) chopped after opening as for relish then mixed with green olives, olive oil, parsley, etc. as a kind of salad or sandwich filling.

She could have purchased a commercial Giardiniera and done that sort of thing quite easily. Don't even get me started on people who don't share recipes.

Carol

Bookmark   August 11, 2011 at 3:43PM
tracydr(9b)

Carol, what's wrong with olives in canning? I wasn't aware of any olive issues. Is it the fat content?

Bookmark   August 11, 2011 at 5:00PM
Linda_Lou(SW Wa.)

Both the ph level and the oil content make them unsuitable for canning.

Bookmark   August 11, 2011 at 5:21PM
t-bird(Chicago 5/6)

sounds like giardiniera - any cauliflower or celery in there?

Bookmark   August 12, 2011 at 8:43AM
tracydr(9b)

Ok, thanks. I've been looking for a good gardienera recipe for canning and if I could put olives in it I'd be all over it!

Bookmark   August 17, 2011 at 10:39AM
tracydr(9b)

Now that you mentioned olives, I went back and looked at my Joy of Pickling book and realized that any recipe with olives is stored in the refrigerator.
I was looking for a gardieneria recipe. Boy, are there ever a lot of unsafe ones out there! People canning all sorts of stuff with tons of olive oil, olives, veggies and little to no processing. Most of the instructions say " seal the jars and they will store on the shelves for up to a year". Yikes!

Bookmark   August 19, 2011 at 12:34PM
More Discussions
Is GMO corn cobs safe for corn cob jelly?
This is the time around here that the farmers are picking...
myfamilysfarm
preserving venison
I have questions for those of you that harvest and...
KSprairie
Jamacian Relish Receipe?
I am looking for a receipe for something called Jamacian...
bluejean
Probably a Cooking Forum question
I never go to that forum and I know several here who...
gardengalrn
Thanks Harvest Forum
I didn't grow up canning and learned relatively late....
gardengalrn6
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™