Peel first or just run through food mill?

2ajsmamaAugust 8, 2012

My cousin asked me yesterday whether I peel the tomatoes first or just cook them then put them through the food mill when making sauce. I have only canned Annie's salsa (where she peels and scoops out the goo), and Ellie Topp's Chunky Basil sauce (with red wine), I like chunky sauce so haven't put anything through mill. I know her Seasoned Tomato Sauce doesn't call for peeling first.

I told him that if he was putting through mill anyway (I got the feeling this was not an option - maybe he likes smooth sauce or hates seeds) then I guess he could just leave them unpeeled, but that the skins would clog the mill more often.

Just wanted to hear pros/cons of leaving skins on while cooking - he thought blanching and peeling would make tomatoes more watery?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

They don't need to be peeled when using a food mill. JUst cut out any spoiled spots first then cook till softened and then run it all through the mill.

With some of the best food mills you don't even have to cook them first but it does make the cranking more difficult when they aren't cooked.

Dave

Bookmark   August 8, 2012 at 9:49AM
calliope(6)

I scald my tomatoes first and remove the skins. I'll tell you for why. I don't like my tomato products to seperate into water at the top, and solids at the bottom, and handling them cooked, instead of raw, deactivates the enzymes responsible for the pectin breaking down. Since I'm heating them anyway, might as well slide the skins off, it only takes a second. So actually the blanching and peeling helps the tomato product to at least look less watery, not more.

Bookmark   August 8, 2012 at 10:43PM
wertach zone 7-B SC

I bought a food mill last year and love it for making sauces. It doesn't really clog up. When it clogs a little I just reverse directions and it unclogs. It saves me a lot of time. I can a lot of sauce.

But I also can chunky tomatoes for soup. I drop those in boiling water a few seconds, cool and peel.

Bookmark   August 10, 2012 at 12:10PM
More Discussions
Current Botulism cases
The Oregon State Public Health Lab has confirmed that...
Linda_Lou
Dehydrate Bok Choy
Does anyone have an experience dehydrating Bok Choy....
compostman
Sterilizing jars and tools
Hello, I think I'm getting a little neurotic about...
giddyupgo
Classico jars are back!
They changed the lid form back to a standard canning...
thatcompostguy
You can't just tell me I can't use half gallon jars....
..... for canning anything but juice, and that I can't...
farmerboybill
Sponsored Products
Structure 2-Light Wall Sconce by Savoy House
$280.00 | Lumens
Brentwood Seafoam Blue / Brown Quilted 3-piece Bedspread Set
Overstock.com
Green Tree Two-Piece Reusable Sandwich Bag Set
$12.99 | zulily
Seedling by thomaspaul Blossom 6-Light Pendant Chandelier
Lamps Plus
23.62" Pineapple Plywood Shade Stylish Modern Pendant Lamp
ParrotUncle