sp. Kunming Kina

Laura_CarnosaJanuary 16, 2012

IML#1347, Iris Marie tells me this hoya is equivelent to sp. Kunming Kina. I've tried this hoya twice now, and I'm sorry to report it'd dead. :-( Again...

Will I ever succeed? *sigh*

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mdahms1979

Laura off the top of my head I don't think I have Hoya sp IML 1347. I do have a plant that was sold under the name Hoya salweenica and although these two are related they are quite different. I would have to see sp IML 1347 and compare it to sp Kunming Kina to be able to tell if they are in fact two different species. One thing that I do notice on my Hoya salweenica is that the new growth (stem and leaf surface) is sparsely pubescent. I will check my plant when I get home and see if there is any other info on the tag.

Patrick mentioned to me that he found his Hoya sp Kunming Kina likes to dry out so I have followed his lead and my cutting is doing well. Even at the early stages I did notice that with too much water the cutting woud drop leaves, it has since rooted and grown a new leaf or two and seems happy with the drier conditions.

Mike

Bookmark   January 16, 2012 at 6:19PM
Laura_Carnosa

Just blows my mind! I root everything the same, and 9/10 have no problems... I root pottsii, longifolia, pubera, bilobata, pubicalyx, all the same, in my aquarium. I'll have to give this some thought... But both times I've tried to root IML#1347, there's only been one leaf on the cut, so I don't suppose this helps any...

BTW- Good to see U MD. I was begining to wonder where you went. Too bad I can't show U #1347 because it is DEAD!!

Bookmark   January 16, 2012 at 6:50PM
tammypie(9)

Good on you, as you always say...

Bookmark   April 14, 2012 at 5:46AM
geosdee(Zone 8 FL Panhandle)

Laura/Mike,

I have both although neither have an IML number. The
Hoya sp Kunming Kina is ALOT bigger than Hoya salweenica although they are similar in leaf structure and the Kunming Kina is very dark and the salweenica is lighter in the leaf color.

Laura I have the Kunming Kina rooting for you.

Dee

Bookmark   April 14, 2012 at 8:49AM
mdahms1979

They are quite similar Dee but sp Kunming Kina is much more succulent where salweenica is not.

I really paid the price for not repotting my Hoya sp Kunming Kina when I knew it was in a mix that held too much water. My cutting died on me a little while ago. I almost never loose Hoyas but that one is very dead. Time to start searching for a replacement. :(

Mike

Bookmark   April 14, 2012 at 11:57PM
Laura_Carnosa

Thanks, Dee!

CMB does not think IML#1347 is Kunming Kina. It's more like salweenica, I believe. But still dead. Twice over.

Bookmark   April 16, 2012 at 10:59PM
More Discussions
Aurora, are the cuttings a no-go?
Hello, i was just inquiring about the hoya cuttings. I...
tlbean2004
Where to get Hoya Cuttings or starts (from Canada)
Hello, I have a few Hoya's, but I would like to add...
rcharles_gw
Bloom trigger?
Growers, Hoya beginner here....I grow a wide variety...
HoosierBob SW Indiana Zone 5
If i give this hoya fertilizer will it branch off?
I have this fishtail cutting that has 5 leaves and...
tlbean2004
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™