Good potato for soup?

michelelcAugust 2, 2012

I have a recipe for minestrone soup that calls for potatoes. I know some potatoes are better for boiling than others but I'm not sure which ones are good. I have Yukon Gold that I just dug, would these work, or should I purchase a different variety at the farmers market? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

I assume this recipe is for fresh eating, not canning?

The article linked below is one of the best I have ever found to explain all the differences between the many varieties and list those best for boiling vs. baking. You'll note that Yukons fall into the all purpose category - not the best for boiling but ok.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Different types of potatoes

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 12:50PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
michelelc

Thanks Dave! I googled it but didn't find much info. That article was very helpful. I also have Red Norland, but assumed since it was Red, it wasn't good for soup. Sounds like I should use the Red Norland. Yes, the soup is for fresh eating, or freezing, although the potatoes tend to get mushy when frozen. I've got some Savoy cabbage and squash, which I also love to put in a good minestrone. Too bad I have no ripe tomatoes yet, but maybe I'll add some canned tomato basil sauce I have leftover from last year!

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 1:46PM
More Discussions
Is my turkey stock too thick to can?
I made stock two nights ago, last night I went to skim...
SaraBeth Williams
Mason jar sale!
I was just at K-Mart (Niles, Ohio) and they have a...
dellr
preserving venison
I have questions for those of you that harvest and...
KSprairie
Does anyone use a pH meter in home canning?
My question is about the Wisconsin extension document...
randaloulton
Making Garlic or Herb Infused Oils at Home
Now that I figured out the new format, I can post this...
malna
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™