Use the lids that come with the jars?

timbersmith(6A)August 1, 2012

Hey All,

We're just starting out canning for the first time this year, and I wanted to check and see if it was ok to use (or re-use, in a way) the lids that come with brand-new jars?

The ones that I've removed all have had fairly prominent grooves from the jar rims in the seals, so for now I've put those off to the side and used new lids just to be safe.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jimnginger(9)

The lids that come with the jars are fine for use out of the case. They are single use like all canning lids.
Jim in So Calif

Bookmark   August 1, 2012 at 9:28AM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Once you heat them those grooves from the pressure re-expand. I had to buy some new jars this year - 3 cases - and all those lids sealed just fine.

Dave

Bookmark   August 1, 2012 at 9:56AM
readinglady(z8 OR)

Do check them very carefully, especially the rims and the rings. Some sustain damage during shipping or storage on the pallets. Those should be discarded as they won't seal. Grooves, as mentioned, are not an issue.

Carol

Bookmark   August 1, 2012 at 2:50PM
timbersmith(6A)

ok, thanks! I wasn't sure how stupid of a question it was, but I thought I'd better check first since some of the grooves were fairly prominent. Better to be safe than sorry.

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 8:54AM
More Discussions
preserving venison
I have questions for those of you that harvest and...
KSprairie
Have you made sweet & sour Indian lemon pickles?
I have made north African preserved lemons several...
veeta
Canning Bacon ?
I just watched a video on another forum of someone...
scunningham
Does anyone use a pH meter in home canning?
My question is about the Wisconsin extension document...
randaloulton
Carnitas pressure canning question
Hello! I've been reading up on DigDirt's carnitas (http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/harvest/msg051438097651.html)...
PirateJeni
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™