Sago Palm Problem

scott7876(9/W Melbourne)August 12, 2014

Hi All:
Anyone have any thoughts on what might be happening to my Sago? It's 5 years or so old, usually produces a good flush of new growth each year. This year it produced a tall "cone" type flower, which eventually dried up, then it produced a big blast of new leaves. After a week or two, the new growth began to wither and turn brown, and it looks like I'm going to lose the new growth. The old growth is still nice and green. I fertilize periodically, and other than a whitefly problem from time to time, it seems to do well.

Scott

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Suzi AKA DesertDance

If your weather is really hot, Sagos can get sunburn. A product like Cloud Cover will prevent that.

Bookmark   August 12, 2014 at 3:34PM
scott7876(9/W Melbourne)

That was a thought of mine, it has been real hot, and the new leaves were delayed due to the flowering, the new guys didn't come out until the cone had dried up, much later in the year than usual. I think they are goners, unfortunately!

Thanks

Bookmark   August 12, 2014 at 3:41PM
wallisadi

"Frizzle Top?".........lack of nutrients.......?

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 4:47AM
yardvaark

Have you checked for Asian Sago Scale which has devastated the Sago population in Fl.? It is common. If it's that, you'll need a systemic insecticide. I have had good luck with Bonide Systemic Granules. Easier to use than a drench. Have linked a Youtube video about Asian Scale which might help you diagnose.

Here is a link that might be useful: Asian Sago Scale

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 8:05PM
leahrenee1(z9FL)

the brown part looks like palm frizzle but you may have some scale too. Treat the frizzle first as wallisadi suggested, then get the scale. There is a product you can buy at the big box stores for this.

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 11:10AM
scott7876(9/W Melbourne)

Thanks for the responses folks. I do fertilize, but I usually throw palm fertilizer on it, which might not be the best I suppose. The growth from previous years is fine though. Will treat it and see how we do. It was a little sprout when we bought it, so sad to see the new growth die off!

Also thanks for the link to the video, it does have a touch of what I guess is scale, but I will have to take a better look at photos to see if it's what I have here. I sent a photo to our extension agent, haven't heard back yet, but I know scale is a big problem here.

Thanks again all!

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 11:58AM
zzackey(8b GA)

It's not a palm. It's a cycad. I think it's Frizzle top. It needs Manganese.

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 3:46PM
More Discussions
looking for more info on this tree
I was given a pod off a "Giant Star Potato",...
master_gardner_nick
Need help with growing healthy cannas
I have several cannas, both large and dwarf, but do...
gardenbear49
Where can I get Ceropegia woodii?
Hello folks, This new format will take some getting...
flowerladylorraine
Mango and Lychee Blooms "fried" by the recent Freeze
Just wanted to vent a little to my fellow mango and...
puglvr1
A mystery plant... Any ideas?
Rescued this plant from a friends house. It's in pretty...
soleil_blume_hooke
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™