Can I?

berrybusyAugust 18, 2011

Can I use frozen lima beans in place of the fresh lima beans in Ball's 3-bean salad?

Usually I've waited until I can get fresh lima beans to make three bean salad, but I have a lot of green and wax beans right now and and the last jars of it went to my mom earlier.

Or, would there be a problem if I subbed fresh kidney beans for the fresh limas?

Here is a link that might be useful: Ball's pickled 3-bean salad

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

No safety issues as long as you keep the amounts the same. The frozen ones may just go a bit softer.

Dave

Bookmark   August 18, 2011 at 1:01PM
nosnowtn

If you prefer a firmer texture, just soak some dried beans, cook them until "al dente" and use in place of limas. I always keep 7-8 varieties of beans on hand and they're great for adding to recipes,especially if you pressure can.

Bookmark   August 19, 2011 at 1:55PM
annie1992

I agree, no problems with your suggested substitutions. I have been planning to make more three ean pickled salad, I used the recipe from NCFHP and it takes oil, which I didn't like, I'll make them without next time. And I used kidney beans, I don't care for limas...

Annie

Bookmark   August 19, 2011 at 4:02PM
grlsixx

Can you still boiling water process the salad if you use the "par-boiled" dried beans as suggested by nosnowtn ? I looked up the NCFHP recipe, and it looks good. Have you tried it with the canned beans as suggested? Do they come out too soft?

Bookmark   August 20, 2011 at 1:32PM
berrybusy

I found using canned kidney beans you have to be careful to follow the USDA directions, adding them at the end, and not overly stirring them, otherwise I've already have the bean insides cook out and been left with nothing but red "husks" and a pulp that settles to the bottom of the jars. I prefer to use fresh when I am able.

Bookmark   August 20, 2011 at 6:14PM
More Discussions
what i put up 2015
Looks like it's time to start this thread again, so...
misskimmie
Mason jar sale!
I was just at K-Mart (Niles, Ohio) and they have a...
dellr
Who uses the foodsaver?
I haven't canned in several years. I've been gardening...
nancyjane_gardener
Classico jars are back!
They changed the lid form back to a standard canning...
thatcompostguy
New low fat way to make "creamy soup" !!!!!!
I got this from "Cooking Light" Most recipes...
nancyjane_gardener
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™