Smoking peppers

thonotoroseAugust 11, 2012

Abnorm got me thinking...

The best dried peppers I ever ate were "pasada" chilies. They were mailorder and expensive and I have never found them since. 30+ years...

So... has anyone smoked their own peppers? Any tips?

We don't barbeque, but we do have a neighbor that does so regularly.

I would think it would be more of a drying-in-smoke operation rather then a high heat one.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rednofl(9b Goldenrod Fl hz 10)

My neighbor tried it last year smoked them all day very low heat then he froze them other wise its a 2 day process to get them dry enough not to spoil. Heres the information he used.

Here is a link that might be useful: Smokin peppers

Bookmark   August 12, 2012 at 7:42AM
inulover

I don't find any reference to Pasada peppers, although that is not surprising with the thousands of varieties and the plethora of local names. It may have originated in Pasada, Chile. On the other hand it might have been a Pasilla.

Drying should be similar to turning Jalapeno peppers into Chipotles. It will take a long time (2 days) in a low temperature smoke, so a barbeque is not really suited if you want to store them dry. You might be able to get away with smoking in the barby for a while and finishing in a food drier.

Larry

Bookmark   August 12, 2012 at 11:19AM
saldut

This one is just ripe for a funny- where's Tom or Lou? anyway, I went out in the garden and picked a peck of---- what I mean is- I tried to light the darn things and couldn't-- what I'm trying to say is, when I tried to smoke those darn peppers, all I did was choke-up and cough...well, I don't want to get lung-cancer anyway so just as well...LOL... sally

Bookmark   August 12, 2012 at 2:21PM
thonotorose

Yes, Sally, I figured I was playing with fire, pun intended...

rednofl, Thanks for the link... helpful....

Inulover, def not a pasilla, clearly remember pasada. They were sold by a well known outfit in the southwest that sold a lot of heirloom edibles. Pretty sure they folded.

Thanks for the confirmation that I needed a long, low effort.

That delish pepper I mentioned in another thread is COVERED with buds. That's the one I hope to smoke.

Veronica

Bookmark   August 12, 2012 at 8:53PM
abnorm(Orlando)

Cold smoke is the usual method ....An electric skillet or a hot plate with a pan of wood chips in an insulated box... Here's BambooRabbit's smoker thread:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/flgard/msg0512175022118.html

My barrel smoker build is for MORE than just my peppers...I dream of smoking Chicken and Ribs and maybe even a "Fatty"....as well as some BACON snacks: (ABT/ADT/PigCandy/PigP*ckers)

I'm hoping I'll be able to sloooow it down to cold smoke the peppers and tomatos......

ATOMIC BUFFALO TURD
Half a Jalepeno stuffed with cheese and sausage wrapped in bacon...Smoked crispy

ATOMIC DRAGON TURD
Half a Habernero...cheese...sausage...wrapped in bacon ...smoked

PIG CANDY
Thick bacon rolled in brown sugar and laid flat to smoke

PIG PECKERS
Breakfast sausage wrapped in bacon and smoked crisp

FATTY
A "jellyroll" of Ground Meat...stuffed with cheese and savory fillings.....tightly rolled and wrapped with a skin of woven bacon.....Smoked crispy....uuummmmmmm!!!!

Hello....9-1-1.........

doug

Bookmark   August 13, 2012 at 8:45AM
More Discussions
What to see in North Central FL this weekend?
I will be just north of Orlando. Any special events...
irma_stpete_9b
A good firespike replacement?
Two and a half years ago I got some 'blue' (magenta)...
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake
Any Plant Sales?
I live in the Holiday Florida area and I went to a...
juttz
Staghorn cutting
A friend gave me a piece of her staghorn. How do I...
drich30099
What is your best/favorite ground cover?
I need ground cover ideas. I love to fill in places...
aroidgardener
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™